Best Technique to use for insetting sandstoen coasters in wood

I have 4" sandstone coasters, that I want to inset in pieces of 4 3/8 mahogany. The Stones are round, the mahogany is square.

I figure my options are..

4" forstner bit (Expensive, center point my poke through, but easy)

Circle router template (Could be tough getting a perfect fit)

or some fashion of a guide template (Similar to making table saw inserts off the original)...then using a bushing create a larger circle...

any advice on the best way for this

hda

Reply to
A.I.