Baseball bats

I guess that's true. They could make aluminum bats heavier, but don't (need to).

Reply to
krw

I'm not arguing, but is that true?

What I've found so far is that the density of Al is 0.098lb/in^3 (approx

1.56 oz/in^3 and that white ash is 41 lbs/ft^3, which should work out to about 0.379 oz/in^3, unless my math is completely f'd. I got some of the info from here;
some from here:
am fully prepared to acknowledge I may have really messed up on the math but....
Reply to
Doug Brown

Does Ash float?

Aluminum doesn't...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Duh! OK, but my ash doesn't float :).

Reply to
Doug Brown

Well then, you might be in the ball park!

----------------------------------------------------------------------- o \o/ _ o _| \ / |_ o_ \o/ o /|\ | /\ _\o \o | o/ O/_ /\ | /|\ / \ / \ |\ /) | ( \ /o\ / ) | (\ / | / \ / \

cavelamb himself

Most woods float. Does aluminum?

Well, 1.56 is greater than 0.379, so I'd have to say aluminum is much denser than ash, by a factor of about four.

You made the math more complicated than it needed to be, but your results are correct: aluminum is much denser than ash.

Simpler version: Aluminum 0.098 lb/in^3 * 1728 in^3/ft^3 = 169 lb/ft^3 Ash 41 lb/ft^3

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:JO2ek.13990$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

Well, lignum vitae (ironwood) doesn't float. Neither does knobthorn or some of the rosewoods (Dalbergia sp.). There are a lot of woods that are so dense they don't float. Wikipedia says the density of lignum vitae is between 1.28 and 1.37 grams per cubic centimeter. Aluminum (from wikipedia) has a density of 2.70 gr/cc. Titanium = 4.5 gr/cc. Iron = 7.87 gr/cc. Lead = 11.34 gr/cc. Gold = 19.3 gr/cc Uranium = 19.1 gr/cc Balsa = 100-200 kg/cubic meter (you do the math).

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang