Baseball bats

With out a ratio of aluminum to wooden bats involved in the 2 out of 3 deaths being caused by wooden bats, one cannot draw any kind of conclusion. It could mean that aluminum bats are way more dangerous if 1/10 of the bats being used in the study were aluminum. Or it could mean that wooden bats are more dangerous if 1/10 of the bats were wooden.

IF the amount of wooden bats were exactly double that of aluminum they would both be equally dangerous. If the number of aluminum bats being used were more than half the number of wooden bats bats then the aluminum bats would be more dangerous.

Reply to
Leon

Yes. It's not just the energy but the pitcher's reaction time. A fastball off the bat would hit the pitcher before he could possibly defend himself. Pitchers are expensive.

The 55MPH speed limit was abolished years ago. ;-)

You're nutz. Politicians have nothing to do (drugs being the obvious exception) with MLB rules.

Reply to
krw

Uh huh. Ten percent makes the difference between reacting and not reacting? If the margin is that close then they need to increase the distance to the plate.

Traffic laws have zip all to do with bat design.

No, they have to do with the laws in several states that prohibit the use of aluminum bats.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I believe you are right!

Reply to
Al

Apparently. Changing the distance to the pitchers mound changes the entire game.

Whoosh!

Ok, you now owe us a citation that shows "several states" that have banned aluminum bats from MLB (or any other) games.

Reply to
krw

Yep, but if it only saves one life . . .

Huh? I really don't know what point you think you were making. Are you suggesing that the rules concerning the performance of bats have been rescinded? If so you might want to inform the NCAA as they seem to be unaware of doing so.

So far the only one that has passed was NYC, but several states have legislation in progress.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So does keeping the wood bat. Aluminum changes the whole game. It's a much faster bat so imparts more energy to the ball.

Never mind. ...not worth 'splainin'.

Cite.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote: ...

Give it a rest--google for it if you really don't know and want to...

OTOMH, I know at least ND has legislation pending, several states have various measures in place for high schools being required (mostly by their state HS athletic associations as opposed to actual legislation.

I'm not sure the actual status in NYC -- Bloomberg was going to veto it, but the initial passage was by a large enough margin to override. Where it stands in the process, though, I've not followed.

Reply to
dpb

You made the assertion, support it.

We were talking about MLB. I can understand schools banning such things. Some communities ban all baseball bats at certain times of the day, but that has nothing to do with the speed of the bat.

I'm surprised. Bloomberg is an idiot.

Reply to
krw

Actually, no I didn't; I just have heard enough of it owing to being involved enough to know what has been going on to know you're just itching for an argument (altho the other poster hasn't been particularly politic, either)...

The conversation, as near as I can tell, was general, not restricted to MLB.

--

Reply to
dpb

J. Clarke wrote: ...

Recall, however, that KE ~ V^2 so a 20% in energy translates into over

40% higher velocity. That much difference would make a _big_ difference in reaction time for evasion/self-defense...

--

Reply to
dpb

between no injury and

higher velocity. That

evasion/self-defense...

I think that you need to check your math.

Reply to
Dan Coby

Uh, try that calculation again. You did it backwards.

Reply to
J. Clarke

between no injury and

higher velocity. That

evasion/self-defense...

Yeah, brain cramp there, for sure...shoulda' known no chance nobody woulda' noticed before I got back to note the gaff... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

On the subject of aluminum bats. I am sure that if there was money to be made, one of the manufactures of the bats could design and make a bat that would duplicate the characteristics of wood bats.

Reply to
p4o2

"p4o2" wrote

On the subject of aluminum bats. I am sure that if there was money to be made, one of the manufactures of the bats could design and make a bat that would duplicate the characteristics of wood bats.

******************

It would be too hard to veneer the aluminum bats.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

There is a measurement in the making of golf heads (COR) that could be applied to Al and wood bats. The choice of an Al alloy, wall thickness, etc. that would match the measured COR of wood bats would be possible. I would also guess that different wood bats would have different COR's?

Reply to
p4o2

It's a weight issue. It's tough ot make AL dense enough. Stainless=20 would work I suppose. ;-)

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

p4o2 wrote in news:0a6e96cf-70b6-4d3f-ab45- snipped-for-privacy@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I actually had one that's not too far off. It's a rather heavy bat, though, but it clunks instead of pings. I don't remember seeing it recently, so it might have gone away...

Obligitory woodworking content: I made a bat rack and hung my bats on it. (A dowel rod thick enough to allow two bats to rest on one peg usually provides enough space between the bats.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Aluminum is already denser than any wood.

Reply to
Doug Miller