band saw problem

I have the typical Delta bandsaw. I just changed blades and now I can't get the thing to run without the blade slipping off the tire. I adjusted the upper plate to make sure it was co-planer. I tightened it up pretty tight. When I spin it by hand the blade stays in the middle of the tire, but soon as I turn it on it slips off again. I'm stumped!!

Reply to
Ed Lowenstein

Pretty typical of all saws. You need to adjust the tracking while it is running. Keep shifting it in one direction or theother until it starts to stay on. Usually spinning fast by hand can show the bad direction but when the added stress of the motro kicks in it just really shows the out of alignment.

The only way to adjust the co-planer you rely need under power is to adjust it under power. The system deflects while running.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

That kind of thing never happens with my MiniMax. (Sorry; couldn't resist)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Yeah I was going to say that it never happens with my Laguna either. It is not typical with all saws, it is typical with most entry level saws today and why I and probably you moved up to this caliber of band saw.

Reply to
Leon

I had the same problem. Then through trial and error, I'd get it on there, and manage to tighten it, and it would stay. Then, months would pass and I'd break another or it would jump off, and I'd forget which way of turning the screw did what to the machine. So, I took one of those lumber pens and wrote little arrows and ON and OFF by the screw. It still may take a bit of time to get it to run and stay on until you get it dialed in, but it sure does lessen the time. If you overtighten it so the blade goes further on to the wheel, there is a ridge on mine, and I can't tighten it so much that it hurts anything. But loosening it up can get it to come off, so I tend to overtighten it, run it in short spurts, and back off until it starts to spin back from the ridge (and off the wheel) and then fine tune from there, turning the bolt the other direction until it's just right.

You'll get it, just write it down for next time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't understand how you can set it for coplanar wheels unless you have it running with a stable blade. Get the bearings and guide blocks back out of the way. Once you have the blade running and staying on the wheels, turn off the machine and use a long straight edge to see if the wheels are coplanar. You may be able to move the upper wheel in or out by removing it and adding/removing a washer behind the wheel based on the results of the straightedge. My wheels are coplanar, I set the blade to run at the center of the upper wheel, it does not track at the center of the bottom wheel. It does read dead on for square to the table which is all that really matters.

Reply to
DanG

Your probably are already doing this......I was having trouble with the blade slipping until I cleaned the tracks it ran on really good. After that..pas de problem!!

Keith

Reply to
Keith