Anybody use a Roomba in the workshop?

+1 - That's it.

Questions And Answers

Can I use it on plywood floors

Answers I wouldn't recommend using it on plywood because it's an oil-based formula.

It's recommended use is on: cement, concrete, marble and other floors in warehouses, factories, shop areas and garages.

Thank You,

Zep Commercial

3 years, 6 months ago ZepRepresentative
Reply to
Spalted Walt

There's oil-based and wax-based and it also comes sanded and non-sanded. Not clear what Zep sells. For wood I believe you want non-sanded wax- based.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I am on my 3rd Roomba robot. The Roomba's learning and mapping the room is a very recent development and still only offered on the top end model. This feature was not available from iRobot until relatively recently. Other brand robots did indeed map the rooms, Neato Vac's for example.

Reply to
Leon

The early ones still had bugs. The first we bought was in 2008 and it was the top of the lone Roomba, IIRC a 570 series. I had a lot of trouble with it, especially with the gears in the brush assembly. iRobot sent me 2 replacement gear boxes and brushes within the first year. As they came out with newer models I learned that you could buy the new model parts for the model I had and the unit became quite useful. It lasted 5 years vacuuming our whole house 5 days a week. When I replaced it I got a 700 series unit with a $100 discount from iRobot. It was absolutely trouble free for 4 years. I picked it up to clean it about 3 months ago and the handle broke. iRobot does not sell a replacement handle and with a couple of e-mails back and forth they sent me a brand new replacement. I only had to pay for shipping to return the broken one.

My wife are extremely happy with the Roombas especially sense the first two vacuumed our home more than 2,000 times in the past 9 years. And we have never used our conventional vac, to vacuum the floors, since getting the first Roomba. We keep it to vac our 9 ceiling fans.

Reply to
Leon

We had that problem too, before the Great Dane it was the Choc Lab. I'll tell you I have to empty the bin after each run and I do a thorough cleaning of the robot on a weekly basis but I spend about 10-15 minutes doing all of that every week. Beats the heck of doing the vacuuming my self 5 times a week.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW I quit worrying about dust about 25 years ago when I switched to using gel varnishes. Dust is not an issue.

Reply to
Leon

When I was kid the grocery store in the small town that my grandmother lived in used a similar product on their wooden floors. It was red in color and had an oily feel when fresh. The oil attracts the dust much like a dust mop does.

Reply to
Leon

Absolutely. See my previous post about the old grocery store. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

The latest is vegatable based - I believe it contains canola meal (which still has some canola oil in it)

Reply to
clare

That's it's purpose, evidently. I'm going to try it too. My garage is a disaster (though one side being full of Hardi-Plank isn't going to make it any easier to clean).

Reply to
krw

Zombie post, but I was Googling this subject out of curiosity. The answer is yes, absolutely. I've been using a Roomba 960 as my overworked, much-abused and utterly stalwart shop-sawdust helper for 3 years. It fills up fast and sometimes chokes on nails and wood scraps but keeps on chugging. I use it in combo with a large shop vac connected to table saw dust port + overhead shop air filter. Roomba can't clean up huge piles of sawdust but is always scurrying around my feet keeping it under control. Emptying bin now and then way easier than shop-vaccing whole floor. Plus you can set schedule so it cleans dust every day as it settles. Recommend the newer self-emptying models so you don't have to dump the bin so often.

Reply to
Patrick Denker

If I had $600+ to throw around I would probably hire my part time yard guy To vacuum the shop. He charges $15/hr. I vacuum it for free.

Reply to
G Ross

We have had a Roomba since 2008. And we will likely always have one.

If I ran a Roomba in my shop I would not get anything done between emptying the bin and waiting on it to get out of the way.

With that said, self cleaning to empty the bin may work but not as quickly as simply sweeping or blowing the dust out.

Reply to
Leon

Don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
krw

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

My biggest complaint about the Roomba is that it will "effectively" rearrange the room. You'll keep the room in the way the Roomba wants so it can run, clean, and get back to base.

Small price to pay, though, for not having to run that noisy distuned wrist-twister vacuum. (Feins are better, but they still suck.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

We got our first roomba about a month ago, a model 8+ from Costco. It has the built-in vaccuum in the base that automatically cleans the Roomba bin when it docks. It's working well. I am still figuring out the mapping and setting up the clean zones and barrier zones. I think we will be happy with it, but I am not getting rid of our Kirby Vacuum cleaner. It does the industrial clean. The Roomba is a maintainer.

Reply to
Bob D

Build heavier furniture. We have an i7 so it does not move much furniture, except for a certain step stool. ;~)

Exactly!

Reply to
Leon

You being new with the Roomba, I would advise that you take it to the shop/garage and clean it weekly. I pull the sweepers, rotating ball wheel, side 3 prong sweeper, and dust bin out. I blow the vacuumm and the dust bin out and then witrh a damp microfiber towel wipe the entire under side and front bumpers. ALSO wipe the 3 prong brush clean.

Especially wipe the front bumper and the 3 prong brush. If left dirty they will leave/transfer dirt lines on your base boards.

I have been doing this for the past 13 years and seems to keep things cleaner.

We still have our pro vac too, but it pretty much only gets used with the hose and wand to do the ceiling fan blades.

And we only have hard floors, no carpet or rugs.

Reply to
Leon

I think that your final statement is key.

I can't imagine that even the best made autonomous robotic vacuum cleaner could clean a carpet as well as it needs to be cleaned. Only a quality upright has the weight, power and brush configuration to remove the dirt at base of the carpet fibers.

While the *surface* of the carpet might look clean after using a robotic vacuum, the sand and dirt particles are still doing their damage. When the abrasive dirt - especially sand - settles into the pile and then gets walked on, it abrades the fibers. Eventually the carpet begins to look thin, dull and flat. Carpet doesn't just wear directly because people walk on it, it also wears - thins out - because the base of the fibers are being cut by embedded dirt.

As Bob D said: "The Roomba is a maintainer." Tossing your quality, yet unwieldy upright is a really bad idea. Depending on how much traffic a carpet sees and how dirty the overall environment is, a deep vacuuming should be done at least once a week if you want your carpets to last - not just *look* clean.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There is that. but if you think a regular vacuum/Kirby, Ricar, what ever brand, will get all the dirt out, that is not going to happen.

The regular vacuum cleaner is only going to remove the dirt in the carpet. They do not remove dirt that has made it to the padding and or past the padding. While an upright may do a better job as a robot vac, it is not going to get all the dirt.

And something else to consider. Our robot vac runs 5 days a week. It may very well do a better job than a regular vac that is only run weekly. The robot vac can get dirt before it gets under the carpet.

One other thing, because we run our robot vac 5 days a week we see a significant reduction in over all dust that settles on everything.

Before our robot vac we dusted our ceiling fans almost monthly. Now 3~4 times a year.

Food for thought.

Reply to
Leon