Anybody use a Roomba in the workshop?

They used that stuff at the high school back in the sixties/seventies all the time. - it was a "dust magnet" compound.

Reply to
clare

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Any reason you can't give your shop floor ONE really good cleaning and then pour satin polyurethane on it and roll it out? I did just that on my shop and garage floor when I built it 30+ years ago. The coating is till probably 95% (only place I've had problems is where the car tires run with salt and crap in the bad weather. Concrete dust? WTF is that? ;-)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

That's what I was told buy the guy who used to design 'em. Perhaps iRobot only designed the "smart" ones (the rest coming from China).

Reply to
krw

Some day I might get time to even work down there.

Reply to
krw

I think I'll pick some up. I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Works on any floor type, Mike. Most that I've seen has a red dye in it so you can see it on the floor. As others have said, a little goes a long way. Not only does the oily consistency (not enough to smear) pick up the dust, it prevents it from becoming airborne. Others have attested to its vintage. I first recall seeing my father using it in our basement ca 1953 and he was hardly an innovator. ;-)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

two words WATER GLASS or Sodium Silicate

Reply to
clare

iRobot designed them all - and likely has them all made in China (or some other low-wage PacRim country)

Reply to
clare

Yes it does. The old hardware srore in Elmira Ontario had hardwood floors and sweepong compound was used all the time.It was also used on hardwood floors as well as terrazo ot school.

Reply to
clare

I'm getting some, that settles it. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks for that info. Think I'll try it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

A lot of it is green too

Reply to
clare

In my case it would have to suck up the dog to stay ahead of the hair. English Setter... his white hair forms "snow drifts" in a matter of days... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The only time I ever saw it was when the janitor at the high school was sweeping out the gym, which had a hardwood floor.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes, it does.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They seem to be contradicting themselves on their website.

From the column on the right: "SDS & PRO TIPS"

Pro Tips This product is safe for both hard and soft flooring.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Interestingly enough, DustBane Corp, who first mareketted the stuff, no longer even lists it as one of their products ---- I guess too many imitators made it unprofitable for them???

Reply to
clare

I'm surprised at that. I can show you a 20,000 sq ft warehouse where it has been used for years with no ill effects. Unless they mean unfinished wood. I can see that as it does have some sort of oil in it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Perhaps they are worried about it scratching the finish, who knows? Not an issue for me since I'm considering it for the OSB floor in my sharn.

Reply to
-MIKE-