Any Experience with Wagner Paint Sprayer?

I have been reading this digest for awhile. Now I have something to ask.

Anyone have experience with a Wagner paint sprayer or similar? If so, how do you like it? Will it spray something besides vertical walls, etc? Is there a better one for small jobs?

I know this isn't what is usually considered woodworking but I know woodworkers do a lot of things and many of you have a lot of varied experience.

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

RE: Subject

RUN, don't walk away from that POS.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Junk. Don't even think about it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mine does a good job with semi-transparent stain. Solid stain is beyond its capacity; but perhaps there are better models that will do solid stain, or even paint.

Reply to
Toller

Wagner makes several prayers including handheld airless which are junk. Larger airless sprayers that are ok to good and handheld hvlp whichare good and larger hvlp systems that work well. Which ones are you interested in?

I have used their handheld hvlp with great success as well as their larger airless systems. The handheld airless guns are mostly junk.

cm

Reply to
CM

Boy am I tired. I just tried to read my post and noticed all the typos....midnights almost here:-)

cm

Reply to
CM

Those things ought to be outlawed. Bunk!

Reply to
Robatoy

I used it to do my deck with stain, works ok on horizontal, but vertical most of the stain bounces back off. JUNK.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

As with most Wagner paint products, OK out of the box, use it, throw it away. More costly in time to clean than it is worth. If it is not "factory clean" much less than desirable results.

Reply to
Leon

If you are into small projects, investigate compressor driven airbrushes, Aztec and Plasshe (sp.?) are names in the field. Standard sized compressor driven spray guns are also a possibility, Lots of options, relatively easy to clean.

Tom

Reply to
tak

And if you don't like the sprayer, try their bottom-line power roller. We borrowed a pretty new one a couple of years ago and after one wall went back to hand rolling. Spent too much time chasing leaks. Cleanup was also worth a wall or two worth of time.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I couldn't have said it better!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Bought 2 Wagner power rollers, 9 years apart. Both were crap. Lasted about 4 rooms each. Wouldn't recomend anything that company makes

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

Depends on what you want to spray. For clear finishes Rockler has their economy HVLP on sale for 80 bucks (of course it goes on sale a week after I pay a hundred for one at Woodcraft). Works quite nicely. It's reputed to have trouble with latex--I haven't tried it with that--but with lacquer it's OK--any problems I've had were mine and not the gun's--it took me a while to get it adjusted.

Note to lurkers, that 80 bucks is for the entire unit including the turbine, not just a gun that needs a compressor. Last time this was discussed I saw some confusion on that point. At that price it's a real bargain for the occasional user.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Richard,

DON'T DO IT! I recently tried two different models in a row. Not their cheapest either. These (so called) tools are total crap. Better off to rent a good quality sprayer.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I've got a Wagner sprayer. I use it exactly once a year, for the same job: spraying 2 quarts of anti-fouling paint onto the bottom of my boat. Been using it for about 10 years now. I've got the flexible extension nozzle, which is great for getting all the odd angles (i.e. I bend it up about 60 degrees to get underneath).

As somebody else mentioned, yes, cleaning it up takes longer than doing the job.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Richard:

I have one of those Wagner Paint Crew sprayers - used it in late 2004 to paint my whole house inside and out with it....worked fantastic.

Here's a link so you can what I'm talking about:

's a lot cheaper than when I bought mine 2 yrs ago too....

vr Jesse

Reply to
Tsavo

I was considering a $99 Wagner handheld job. I am getting a new storage shed and buying something like this is about as cheap as renting a real sprayer. (They claim it will pull unthinned latex out of a can- is that believable?) Maybe I should just roll it on the old fashioned way. This shed will have an outside paneling that has grooves running down it every 6" or so and I thought spraying would get primer and paint into the grooves better than a roller. Lazy Richard!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

unthinned=A0latex=A0out

Mine wouldn't.

--=20 It's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have had two Wagner sprayers and the last is still stored somewhere under my work bench! Terrible results! Bought the Rockler $99.00 hvlp rig (also one for my son-in-law) and have had great results with it (for it's intended purpose). Recently painted all the exterior trim using thinned latex on my house and couldn't be more pleased.

Mine wouldn't.

Reply to
Bill Hall