angled tenons/miter guide problem

Any ideas would be appreciated here. I need to cut ends of apron piece for a high chair at 4 degrees with tenons also at 4 degrees. Problem is my nice miter gauge from rockler only has 1.5 degree increments and (head hung low) I've tossed the old original guide for my table saw. I was thinking I could stand my stock up and tilt my t/s blade cut the ends and use a rabbeting bit to make the shoulder cuts on the face and a hand saw to clean up top and bottom?

Reply to
mel

I use my Delta tenoning jig for angled tenons. You could also cut set your miter gauge at 90° and attach a block cut at 4° to it.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

how do you make the shoulder cuts? and if I could cut a 4 degree block I wouldn't be having this problem

Reply to
mel

Use your taper jig (you do have a taper jig, don't you?) to cut a 4-degree wedge. You can then use this wedge in conjunction with both your miter gauge to set the angle you need.

If you don't have a taper jig, make one. All you need are a hinge, a thumbscrew, and a few plywood scraps.

Reply to
Caleb Strockbine

yes i do have a taper jig . actually need to be able to cut a 4 , 7 and 10 degree cut so i guess i'll make 3 wedges. (grumbling...should have started this project earlier)

Reply to
mel

Have you considered using loose tenons instead?

Reply to
K.-Benoit Evans

As Caleb said, use the tapering jig to cut a 4° block, then use the miter gauge at 90° along with the block to cut the cheeks.

Reply to
Preston Andreas