Aluminum Cutting guide

The latest Penn State catalog has a nice aluminum cutting guide on page 63. Two pieces at 51" that can be connected together to create a 102" fence. Seems great for routers, jigsaws, circular saws, etc. Comes with two 51" aluminum cutting guides & two "C" clamps for $21.95.

Catalog is marked as Winter 2004-05 051.

Big John

Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

Reply to
WilliaJ2

Available from Lowe's for $18.98. I have one and its so-so. I found that building a sawboard was much more accurate because it exactly matches where the saw blade will cut. The aluminum guide has no idea where the saw blade is. I also built a board for my router along the same principal.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Maybe it was the vise principal - sorry, couldn't resist :-).

The problem with the aluminum guide I have is that it flexes where the two pieces join. Not a lot, just enough to be a PITA. I drilled a small hole through at the join, just large enough to take a finishing nail. Solved the problem. If the miniscule nail hole is unacceptable, use two sided tape.

But you're right - a sawboard is better. I made one that's set for my circular saw on one edge, my sabre saw on the other. But it's only 4' so I use the aluminum for 8' cuts.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Lee Valley sells a nice one. So does ProGrip. They have attachments for your router or circular saw to travel along the guide.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

You guys got me thinking because I also have an aluminum one in two pieces. Why don' I just put it together and screw it down to an 8' plywood piece and make my own saw board?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The only reason I didn't do that was lack of space to store it. The two aluminum extrusions take up very little space in my very small shop :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard