Almost neander'd away

Well, I'm no keeper of the sacred tablets, but I believe I was the first to call the wreck "Fort Stinkin' Desert."

I have a colleague whose last name is Grubb. I swear, every time I see him I think "grubs again. grumble grumble grumble."

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder

On 23 Apr 2004 12:41:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) brought forth from the murky depths:

I think I beat you by a year, Doc.

(neener, neener, neeeeeeener)

Send him in for Regrooving.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

On 23 Apr 2004 05:05:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I hear THAT. I don't fish and want to take my camera and tripod into the woods up here. I just need to find and stay away from the large plots of illegal shrubs (and their armed owners) so I come -back- from the day trips. I'll take "A Reverence for Wood" with me so I can identify all the trees out there. I'm not a fishing snob, but I just find that this style of fishing

You say that as if you care. ;)

I have to fit my physicality into a window. Too little work and I feel ancient. Too much work and what's left of me feels ancient. When I'm feeling good, I overdo. When feeling bad, I underdo. Creaky bones suck, and I'm just 51. But I've been feeling better after following the Candida Diet. Losing 17 lbs didn't hurt, either. Now to drop about 20 more...my knees will thank me at 183.

So solly.

Nah, I've always and openly been a Firesign buff. Ever listen to the album "A Child's Garden of Grass"?

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

"Zipping is very quick. Unzipping seems to take forevvvvver."

OBWW (more for Chuck): Are the best flyrods still made of tonkin cane?

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder

On 23 Apr 2004 17:18:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@myoffice.math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) brought forth from the murky depths:

Great minds think alike, Doc.

"Hey, look up dere!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:02:52 -0700, Larry Jaques scribbled:

OK guys, I'll bite. What's FST & where are all those references from?

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:31:12 -0700, Luigi Zanasi brought forth from the murky depths:

Ask and ye shall be enlightened, Zenweegee:

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

Firesign Theatre. Comedy group known mostly by their LPs. Surreal, very witty, very addictive. You'll recognize fans easily because we've memorized the albums and quote them at length.

There are cross-references between the albums; Nick Danger gets a wrong number for a pizza order on one album ("No anchovies? You've got the wrong number. I spell my name 'Danger'"), then we hear the other end of the call on another album ("Nobody delivers in the Hills.")

Ah, he's no fun. He fell right over.

Regards,

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Forward, into the past!

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The album "How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all"

Fudd's 1st Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it

*will* fall over.

Testicles Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it *must* come out.

(From "I think we're all bozos on this bus")

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Listen to it? I *lived* it! ;-)

Depends on what you mean by "best". :-) If you like a slow-action rod for delivering dry flies, then a tonkin bamboo is probably about as good as you can get. (For the price, they'd better be; they cost upwards of $1K.) But graphite rods are the industry standard these days. They can be made with just about any action desired, from almost as slow as fiberglass to very whippy.

Personally, I hope to one day make a bamboo rod. But it's fairly far down on SWMBO's list of wooddorking projects. :-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

can you use parrot feathers in fly-tying? just a curiosity as we have a parrot and from time to time he loses a few.

BRuce

Reply to
BRuce

On 26 Apr 2004 04:55:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

Ah, so you're the reason Myron Florin sold more than one album.

I picked one up for a buck at a garage sale when I moved up here but never have gotten around to buying that fishing license. One neighbor said that there was too many pollutants upstream which tainted the fish, but I haven't checked the actual water analyses.

It's a 3-pc metal-ferruled job about 15' long imported directly from Japan. It is about 3/4" diameter tapering to a 1/" tip with a single eyelet. Very flexible and fairly lightweight. Bamboo is neat wood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- ||

an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, IIRC, the only way you could listen to polka music was if they were all playing at once. (BTW, down here in Texas, Myron makes regular appearances for various festivals like Wurstfest and Oktoberfest ... or at least he did until recently. Dunno if he's still alive ... or if he smokes dope.)

What's the river you're thinking of fishing? I can probably get a firsthand report from the Usenet flyfishing group.

Also, if you just fish catch and release, you don't have to worry about pollutants, unless you tend to fall into the water a lot. :-)

Bamboo is very cool. From the sound of it, you've got a rod used for "dapping" (i.e., taking bait or a fly, reaching to where you want to fish and dropping it down to the fish without casting). Bamboo rods for flyfishing are usually in the 7-8' range and would have a series of "snake guides" for casting a flyline.

Anyhow, at $1 it's a bargain. In a worst-case scenario, you can always cut it into pieces and use it as stakes in your vegetable garden. :-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

I guess it would depend on what type of fly-fishing you were doing. The colors would definitely be worth tying with, but if you are trout-fishing, I imagine they'd be a bit too big for normal tying. For saltwater tying, it's possible that you could find some uses.

You could always send me some and I'll let you know for sure. :-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

On 26 Apr 2004 16:59:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

The Rogue River runs about 300 yards south of me, about 50' below my property. I should be fairly safe from floods, which I hear happen quite often here. An old coupl just bought a piece of property 2 lots down on the river and put up an 8,000 sq/ft home about 8' above the water line. The next time the river rises, they'll be history. Unfortunately, 4 of the friendly neighbors all are one lot away from the river. I have no access locally except at the park 1/4 mile down.

That water is only about 40F and I don't have a license, so...

Since it's a 3-pc, I could use the two end pieces.

Hey, I'm about ready to plant, too...

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Whoa, the Rogue is very well-known as a steelhead river. What town are you near?

Poor boy. You have to go all of 1/4 mile to get to the freaking Rogue River. I really feel sorry for you.

So get some waders and a license, son. I can't believe you'd be that close to fishing paradise and complain about a little cold water.

You could try that, but if it's a flyrod, it will be made for a specific line weight that you'll need to match it with. Plus, it will have a reel-seat and some ceramic "stripping guides" in the butt section and snake guides further up towards the tip. I'm guessing yours is really just "pole" for dangling bait in the water.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Should be just the thing for t'maters.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

On 27 Apr 2004 07:07:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I love steelhead, too. I'm in the county, officially Grants Pass, but halfway between there and the city of Rogue River. BTW, you ought to see the salmon up here. The overlook at one of the parks is directly on the river and you can see 30+ of them within a 30' circle swimming upstream in 6" deep water. Y'know, wade in, reach down, and take in dinner. ;)

Roger on ACK of the neener.

Yeah, I've thought about it since trying steelhead.

Right. And who needs a $2,500 rod and reel to catch dinner?

I'm allergic to the Nightshade family. No more taters, maters, chiles (EGAD!), and eggplant. I'll be growing cantaloupe, acorn squash, broccoli, lemon and sweet basil, green beans, carrots, radishes, okra, and whatever else I can fit into a 10x10' plot.

I had to top a red maple and will be carving it up with a chain saw some day. (It hasn't made clear what it wants to be yet. I'll probably leave the saw cord plugged in and carve while I trickle water into the garden. I'm going with drip irrigation this year since it worked so well in LoCal in my last lifetime.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So you've been down there with your net in hand? ;-)

Roger on the request for confirmation of a neener. Will confirm once I hear that you have actually gotten into the water and dragged a steelhead or salmon from there. :-)

Well get out there, man. Hell, here in Texas we stock trout just so we can get a sense of what it's like, and you're right there in a spot like that!

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

On 28 Apr 2004 14:43:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

No tickee, no washee. (fines are added to the license fees) Not that I haven't been tempted...

Brrrrrrr!

I was going to get a steelhead for my sister's visit and the damned store was out of them so I settled for a 2.5 lb trout. It was good, but the steelhead is so much more buttery and tasty that I may not buy another trout.

I hope you never hear me utter those blasphemous words.

============================================================== Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques