Ah, Got Tools

"Upscale" wrote

I indeed sympathize with the sentiment. In this case, and in the remote possibility, I just didn't want SWMBO to have to deal with the aftermath of that scenario. I've dealt with a few suicides, both friends and family, and the anguish, and anger, that it leaves behind made the act seem selfish in retrospect.

Summer before last the family was writing our mother off. It very seriously didn't look good for her. She's bounced back and, at 85, beat me into the local Chinese restaurant for dinner a couple of weeks back.

... one of the problems with life is that you never know.

Reply to
Swingman

This I understand and agree with fully. I remember when my father's time had come and he was in the hospital, he requested that I go upstairs into his study to deal with or remove a number of things that he didn't want my mother to have to handle. Even back then, I was using the wheelchair. One day when I know my mother would be out for a considerable amount of time, I dragged my butt up the stairs pulling the wheelchair after me and took care of everything he asked me to do. Even to this day, twenty years later, I remember every single thing I did at the time.

Reply to
Upscale

Sat, Dec 29, 2007, 9:14am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: Although I doubt he is mobile enough to reach them ... I removed all his guns from the house last night. Another chapter in a life closed.

On a scale of from 1 to 10, the 10 being not committing suicide, I'm probably at least at 12 on the sacle. However, if it was me, I'd be prepared if it was a similar scenario - I might not be able to get to it, but I can pretty much guarantee you that you wouldn't find all my guns. Personally I think if it was me, I'd quite well ask my doctor to pull the plug for me.

JOAT If you can read this you're in range.

Reply to
J T

I wasn't going to read through this thread, but then realised I had something relevant (in my mind) and positive to contribute.

My grandma (age 91), went into the hospital for emergency surgery on the 9th of this month. Although she's essentially wheelchair-bound, she still gets around and her mind is nearly as sharp as ever. However, it looked like her time was up, and she wouldn't make the next week, let alone making it tuo Christmas.

Three days later, my wife and I adopted a baby boy, almost completely out of the blue. Grandma was told about it and proceeded to pull through two major operations in order to see her newest great-grandchild. We went up with the baby to visit her just after Christmas. She's resting well now (out of ICU), and has told us that she's going to get out of there before long. Having both Grandma and a new baby with us for Christmas made a wonderful season out of what was threatening to be a holiday funeral.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.

"Colin B." wrote \

Great story ... thanks for sharing. Here's hoping Grandma cheers the little one's college graduation!

Reply to
Swingman