Affortable Shop Option

Just picked up a local bargain magazine, and checking it out. Truck & trailer sales place has a 28' smi-trailer for $1500. And, a 48' X

102" semi-triler for $2750. You'd have to either back one up to a hill to get in, or make some steps. And wire it, maybe put in a few windows. But, if it was a choice between one of thes, and no shop, I know my choice. Plus, if the old lady kicks you out, you can always hoo9k a truck up to it and take off. Then get a cot, portable toilet, and a few other amenities, and you've got a living space until you get a regular place to stay. So things could be worse.

J T

Buy it then remove the axles... that will bring it down to earth a bit. I used to build semi trailers, the whole wheel assembly (bogey) is usually bolted on to the frame.. easy mod.

Reply to
Rich

Or perhaps better than going with a trailer, find somebody selling used shipping containers. Most containers "age out" before they are really worn out. There are a few options doing that. Some domestic units are insulated. Most are sold as wind and water tight. The walls tend to be stiffer than many semi-trailers. Get a high-cube if you can since it's a foot taller. The trickiest part can be finding containers aging out near you; shipping even an empty container can be a killer. I picked up a 40' high cube for $2200 delivered a couple of years ago. It's great for storage; varmint tight (at least nothing has ever eaten any of the mouse bait I put out) and a dehumidifer only pulls out about 1 qt per week in the summer if the doors are kept closed.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

hex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

How are they on width? Are they still 100" or so wide?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Contact:

affiliation)

Dave

Reply to
DLB

innews: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Since containers get stacked like bricks on ships the sizes are highly standardized and built solidly. Outside width is 8'. High cube containers are 9'6" tall (over 8'6" inside). So a newer semi trailer is likely to be a little wider.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 7:52pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hex) did post: The trickiest part can be finding containers aging out near you; shipping even an empty container can be a killer. =A0 I picked up a 40' high cube for $2200 delivered a couple of years ago.

Hmm. Around here, you can build a shop, garage, whatever, with no permit required, as long as it's no larger than 16' X 16' in square footage. If I can find a container around here, with a price I find reasonable, I think I'll check to see if they would make me get a permit or not if it's over that footage. Wouldn't surprise me if some local government weenie says yes. But a 20' should be no prob. One major plus, wouldn't have any worry about it burning to the ground from welding in it, or a small forge.

J T

Hmm. Around here, you can build a shop, garage, whatever, with no permit required, as long as it's no larger than 16' X 16' in square footage. If I can find a container around here, with a price I find reasonable, I think I'll check to see if they would make me get a permit or not if it's over that footage. Wouldn't surprise me if some local government weenie says yes. But a 20' should be no prob. One major plus, wouldn't have any worry about it burning to the ground from welding in it, or a small forge.

***************************

I have seen three shops built into these things. If you bolt down the equipment, the whole thing is portable and can be moved to a new location if necessary.

The military is using all kinds of special purpose containers for just this reason. The containers are infinitely portable, And they can be configured in a thousand different ways.

You can even get armored containers! Just the things for those neighborly disputes.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hmm. Around here, you can build a shop, garage, whatever, with no permit required, as long as it's no larger than 16' X 16' in square footage. If I can find a container around here, with a price I find reasonable, I think I'll check to see if they would make me get a permit or not if it's over that footage. Wouldn't surprise me if some local government weenie says yes. But a 20' should be no prob. One major plus, wouldn't have any worry about it burning to the ground from welding in it, or a small forge. JOAT

Joat you might look around construction sites. I picked up a 38 foot stainless steel for free. It had two or three small holes in the roof which I patched. It had a walk in side door and double doors on the back. I had to rebuild the back doors. They use them for storage and usually move them with a wrecker so they don't have to have tags and insurance. I got this one because it would cost too much to move to the next job. The trailor was purchased near the site. I took a torch and cut the running gear free and ssit ot on some cement blocks close to the ground. It helps to be a good scrounger. Virgle

Reply to
Virgle

Cost depends on where you are. If the container's age out of active service in the yard of a company that only moves things in 40' boxes, then 20's won't be cheap or easy to get. In my area of the upper midwest (SW WI , SE MN) it's the case that 20's and 40's fetch the same money. Folks like being able to hide a 20 footer behind a two car garage. As far as the fire observation goes; the floors are generally high density plywood. Also, check the local trader mags, there generally a couple of ads.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex