Ad/ trade

Is any body interested in trading a single phase unisaw motor for a three phase? Any body have a single phase unisaw motor for sale? Thanks Max snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
max

Jim Behning

Thanks Jim That is too steep for me. I can use a static converter for under $100 and it will work fine. I paid $350 for the saw and going up another $400 is too much for me. max

Reply to
max

Check e-bay for a three phase idler motor. Get a couple of caps. Set up a rotary converter. In a one man shop, you can't use more than about one tool at a time (figure in the compressor running by itself when it will). A converter big enough for the Unisaw will run anything else you might, in the future, want to add on. Heck of a lot cheaper than 300 bucks and you're set to do whatever you want in the future. BTDT.

bob g.

max wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Robert I have used a static converter when I had my Yates 18 inch and it worked great. I have built rotary converters from old 3 phase motors for friends in the past. If I can't find an easy solution I might just do it again. Thanks max

Reply to
max

To me, the rotary solution with a good, quiet old motor is so simple. They are dirt cheap. I actually have three around. The first was a two horse. Wanted to run something larger so went shopping for motors. Ended up buying a 7 1/2 and a ten. All work well but I don't really need them all. Don't have 100 bucks wrapped up in the three including the caps and relay.

bob g.

max wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

I have a motor out of a delta contractors saw. Probably not enough horses for you tho.

Reply to
mark

Reply to
Jim Behning

Mark The Unisaw motor is kind of special. It has two tabs welded to the case and they straddle a piece of the casting and a blot goes through it. That is why these motors are so expensive.

Reply to
max

Ah. Maybe someday I'll have the pleasure!

Reply to
mark

And it's the wrong frame.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Too steep for me too. I did a similar job on my Wadkin, paid half of that and thought I'd over-spent.

I've never seen a $100 static converter "work fine". Those capacitor box converters are a complete PITA.

Ah, the lead-up to the drive by gloat. 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes - The Old Woodwroking Machines site

has two excellent FAQ articles on 3 phase

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not trying to gloat. The problem, is I am trying to set this shop on a budget. I am used to pro tools but can't afford them. I just bought a 1o inch saw (Delta) on a 10 foot welded frame with huge wheels. It has an eight foot long Excalibur sliding fence on the left, a unifence and a 6 foot table on the right and out feed tables all built in to an 80 square foot package. The problem is the tablesaw seems kind of wimpy. It is a Delta and has a cast iron top but a sheet metal base. I just happen to have this 3 phase Unisaw sitting around unused and thought I should use it.

max

Reply to
max