A math challenge

Wrong. I never said any such thing. My point was only that the stability of a table is relative only to its base and COG.

Reply to
krw

Of course you did. You said it before, and you said it again just now: "the stability of a table is relative only to its base and COG". Hence two tables having identical bases, with their centers of gravity in the same place, must be (according to you) equally stable -- regardless of any other factors such as the size of the tabletop.

Reply to
Doug Miller

We gotz some sucker bait floating here...LOL

Reply to
Josepi

Faked headers from the cyber bully gang.

Reply to
Josepi

Could I explain the post I would gladly do so. I am a moron just as are you all so I am lost.

Reply to
Josepi

You're correct as far as your definition of the problem. But there's the ancillary problem of a single fly alighting on the nether edge of a table whose legs are WAY inside the perimeter.

Come to think on it, I've never seen a dining room table held up by a single

1" pole attached at its center of gravity.
Reply to
HeyBub

Setting an object on the edge of a tabletop doesn't change the center of gravity of the *table*, no.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Elbows on the table = soup in the lap.

At least that's what my granny taught me.

Reply to
HeyBub

And the COG is changing as items are placed on or removed from the table in normal service. That's the concern, eih? phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Bingo.

Reply to
Robatoy

Go for 4 legs with adjustable feet. (if the table just has to be stable and not necessarily level, you just need 2 adjustable feet -- or one if you also get to turn the table)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Actually, only one whether or not you get to turn the table.

Reply to
alexy

That's not right. If the terrain that the table sits on is varied enough, then two adjustable feet are needed to keep the table surface horizontal enough to stop things from sliding off it.

Reply to
Upscale

Only one would be required if you rotate it.

Reply to
Josepi

Just one will do. The three other legs, by themselves will form a tripod and will find a place to stand, then all you do is lower the fourth. What you end up with in terms of level, well that's another matter entirely.

Reply to
Robatoy

Sorry. Only one adjustable leg would be required for a three legged table to keep it level anywhere. This would not apply for a four legged table.

Reply to
Josepi

Sorry again. My sleep patterns are all over the shop I just cannot get the group out of my head! WHY DO YOU NOT LOVE ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!

What you need is a single leg table with a gyro mounted. This way even on a moving bus the table will balance!

Now I just happen to have such a table kept safe in my butt. Collapsible and folds in no more space than a medium sized gerbil there is one for everyone! Share anyone?

Sorry. Only one adjustable leg would be required for a three legged table to keep it level anywhere. This would not apply for a four legged table.

Reply to
Josepi

I was replying to the hypothetical that level is not needed. If level is needed (i.e., real world), it seems you would need three adjustable legs if you can't rotate the table. If you can rotate, and the surface is "continuous", two will do.

Reply to
alexy

Reply to
Robatoy

That requires a continuous (more accurately differentiable) surface. E.g.m consider a tripod with 2' spacing between feet, placed on a surface consisting of four 1.25' square blocks, with the taller ones

1", 2" and 3" above the lowest one. You can't fit two of the legs on the same block, so the two fixed legs will not be the same height--tilted table.
Reply to
alexy