A GOOD Shop Vac?

Regular wet/dry ShopVac works good for me- the only thing is, if it comes with a narrow hose (and I think most of them do these days,) it's well worth buying a larger one to go on it. It's been a while since I bought it, but I think the smaller ones are 1.25" diameter, and the large hoses are 2" or 2.5". The larger ones don't clog very easily, and have plenty of suction for just about anything.

Reply to
Prometheus

Brian,

My DC is a Harbor Freight (same as Grizzely) 2hp model that kicks butt at the router table. My dust port is in the fence, however, so if I'm not doing a fence operation dust still flys. I have a "big gulp" that I use at floor level to sweep floor dust into the DC. Gotta figger a way to attach it to the router table for those unfenced operation. For sanding, I built a perforated topped box and hooked the DC to that box. Works great for cabinet doors and other smaller stuff. BTW, the cyclone lid by Lee Vally on a 30 gal trash can is worth every penny. I don't cringe at hearing a chip hitting the impeller any more.

Gene

Reply to
DZIN

This is slightly off-topic but I have been considering using a shop vac - not the portable one but a "chip vac" or central unit, I guess it would be, for my house.

It would, I think, be cheaper and much more powerful than the "name" household vacuums.

I suppose it would be noisier than the domestic setup - but if anchored in solid concrete and enclosed in a sound -deadening arrangement, this would be largely overcome.

The other thing is I don't understand why I should bother with filters. What if I simply piped the outlet outside to my compost pile? That should give it better performance - less back-pressure.

Anyone done something like this?

Reply to
LQQK

SFWIW, I buy the small $40 unit when it goes on sale for $30.

Get about a 12-18 months out of one since I really abuse it sweeping up fiberglass dust as well as working outside.

Works for me, YMMV.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett