A couple of comments on Ridgid tools

I clicked a link on an email I received from "Musicians Friend", and have received 3 more emails from them in the next 2 days as well as related marketing when I visit Yahoo. I've since marked the email messages as "junk".... They are training me in ways that may backfire on them.. .

Reply to
Bill

This is certainly true. I tend to write using common sense, applicability, and the reality of the way things actually work. All of us know about tha t legal caveat, and certainly, some lawyer seeking to make his bones in thi s world called companies to task as to requiring certain steps to be fulfil led before they would be obligated to provide warranties.

I would strongly urge anyone that feels like they don't have to register th eir products not to do so. I doubt that anyone really cares at all, but if it makes a point that you understand the law better than they do, go ahead . One bit of warning though, it might be easier to register than to mount a lawsuit against HD/Ridgid over a $200 tool.

In context, I will certainly bow to the actual fact of the matter. However , if you decide to slam HD/Ridgid with their warranty, please do come back and let us know how it works out for you. Being right, and being righteous can be very, very expensive.

Now this will curl your toes... the registration group told me no receipt, no warranty!

Also, while we are being pedantic and literal, please note that your cite r eferences only warranty CARDS. References abound to CARDS within that cite, but not one reference to electronic registration online. Dig away at Goog le and you will find the difference between a written document in hand and an electronic document. Does your cite with its most recent modification/u pdate of 2015 address certain and particular consumer rights when registrat ion is online? This could be of value to you since there is no other way t o register Ridgid tools other than electronically. No CARDS, nothing refer enced in your cite is used these days by Ridgid, nor have they been for sev eral years. Electronic the whole way.

Surely you can find an additional cite that shows a victory over Ridgid (or a similar company) for an illegal warranty registration request.

I am thinking that the same type of lawyer that help get a judge/jury to de cided that folks don't have to comply with the company/manfacturer's wishes even though they make the tool and a person doesn't have to buy it to begi n with knowing the company rules could easily get that cite dismissed.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On 05/19/2017 12:37 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

receipt, no warranty! ...

Their own web site refutes them --

"Ridgid...Tools are automatically covered under a 3-year Limited Warranty. This 3-Year Limited Warranty begins from the date of purchase shown by a valid receipt. If a valid receipt is not available, the 3 year limited warranty period begins from the date of manufacture ..."

At the link posted previously. I'd not suspect one would have any issue whatever within the 3-yrs from the manufacture date stamped on the tool itself; you just lose what time transpired between the "built on" and the "sold" dates.

Wouldn't be first time either the phone staff doesn't actually know the precise rule or is coached to stretch the rule or just gives right answer to wrong question...

Reply to
dpb

On 05/19/2017 7:55 AM, dpb wrote: ...

PS. Hadn't heard of your accident, before, either, Robert; here's hoping your rehab does go well...and let's not do that again, ok? :)

Reply to
dpb

EGGactaly. MY BIL used to tell me not to worry about parking in Such and Such parking space or risk being towed, if you don't walk into the proper store. He worked for an attorney. I looked at him and said while it may be true that they can't legally enforce the warning signs I don't want to come back and find my vehicle gone, and then have to go through all the proceedings to get it back and my parking storage expense reimbursed including having a lawyer involved. It is easier to simply park two spaces over, on in the context of this case, register the product.

IIRC that is pretty much a long time rule with anyone. If you can't prove you did not steal it, they don't have to repair it. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I'd urge you to read the actual terms/conditions statement on the Ridgid web site. It doesn't say that at all.

I can understand why the staff may be coached to tell folks to have their receipt; it will provide them the longest possible coverage time beginning at date of sale instead of manufacture, but the actual warranty is valid as req'd by law for any tool in the class of tools that have the 3-yr warranty.

"3-Year Limited Warranty

RIDGID® Brand Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic Tools are automatically covered under a 3-year Limited Warranty. This 3-Year Limited Warranty begins from the date of purchase shown by a valid receipt. If a valid receipt is not available, the 3 year limited warranty period begins from the date of manufacture on originally purchased equipment. For batteries and chargers, if the receipt is not available, and the battery/charger serial code differs from tool console more than 12 weeks, the origin of the battery/charger cannot be verified. In this case, the tool serial code must be used to verify warranty, NOT the battery/charger serial code. Note that all accessory batteries and chargers sold separately must have a valid receipt to verify warranty status since they are not sold with a tool console in a kit."

In its entirety; preceding paragraph is "Recon Limited Warranty" and subsequent cover the much more involved Lifetime Service Agreement conditions which is not a warranty by legal definition and hence can have all kinds of conditions applied.

Reply to
dpb

Thanks! It is more difficult than I thought it was going to be, more painf ul, too.

Sadly, I have been involved in all kinds of job site accidents, and the onl y time I really get hurt is doing simple stuff. I pay a lot of attention w hen doing anything remotely dangerous, but as with this, I wasn't paying at tention and was already thinking of being back on the job. I have come to appreciate that with 60 in the rear view mirror, things aren't as elastic, forgiving, or heal nearly as fast as they used to. I won't be jumping off the side of the truck again.

Thanks for the follow up on the warranty info. I must confess that I didn' t go to their website to read their info as I was only concerned with the L SA when I was talking to them, which as you pointed out is completely diffe rent from a warranty. I am honestly impressed (and very surprised) that th ey will honor a warranty without a receipt, even if it is for 30 minutes.

I don't have any problem registering with them. I have been buying on the internet for years and it is too late for me to save myself. Like -MIKE-, I have never received one piece of spam or unwanted emails from all the reg istrations. I have my spam/trash blocker tuned up and it catches almost ev erything, and at this point for all of us living in the electronic world, t hat's about all we can do.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

This is part of why there's a steady decline in participation in the newsgroup. You make a simple clarification, and someone has to get their panties in a wad and act like a dick about it.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Ah, but the data brokers aren't using the data to send you spam or unwanted emails. They're using it to tune the set of advertisements that are presented to you when you visit websites, to induce you to click on the ads.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

True enough. Like I said, too late for me. Shopping for tools, blades, ext ension cords, and all the other stuff I buy from a multitude of sources had allowed Google (specifically) to build a database that shows ads of not on ly what I have been looking for lately, but down to the brands I prefer.

After reading a long dissertation on the data collecting going on in Window s 10 AND Chrome, I disabled all I could with Win10 and quit using Chrome. But I still use Google, and a meta search engine that uses Google and Yahoo as a source, so I don't really know how much good I did for myself. I kno w that really it wasn't much.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I believe it...tore up a knee pretty seriously way back when before orthoscopic days so getting a joint freed up after nearly 3 mo in cast from hip to toes was no picnic, either.

"This, too, shall pass..." is the mantra.

Not solely from the goodness of their hearts, I'm sure! :) They've got to stay clear of the consumer protection rules so really have no choice on that one. Of course, having a 3-yr warranty is good marketing strategy from competitiveness so it isn't all just a dead loss. I'm sure their MBA-types have analyzed cost vs benefit very carefully... :)

Reply to
dpb

More depressing reading:

Scott Lurndal

xtension cords, and all the other stuff I buy from a multitude of sources h ad allowed Google (specifically) to build a database that shows ads of not only what I have been looking for lately, but down to the brands I prefer.

ows 10 AND Chrome, I disabled all I could with Win10 and quit using Chrome. But I still use Google, and a meta search engine that uses Google and Yah oo as a source, so I don't really know how much good I did for myself. I k now that really it wasn't much.

Maybe I am an anomaly. I get various targeted ads when I click on Yahoo an d maybe some other websites. I LIKE these ads to be from shops I spend mon ey at and about products I want to buy or look at. I would hate to get ads about chiropractors or Chinese cooking classes. I like to see tool ads an d other things I do. Sometimes I click on them because its a good sale on something I want. Win.

Reply to
russellseaton1

No question. The engineering folks help, too. Three years isn't at all unusual for LiIon batteries. They're more limited by charge cycles than time. 500-1000 cycles makes 3-years a reasonable number. Given that a large number of these are owned by homeowners, 500cycles is an eternity.

Reply to
krw

+1
Reply to
Leon

Understood. ;~) But it is a good idea to present a receipt with most anyone or you could loose out.

We moved into our new home in Dec 2010 about a week after it was completed. In December of 2016 our water heater expired. A week or two under 6 years. The warranty on the water heater was 6 years. I thought great we just beat the expiration date. BUT we had no receipt indicating the date of install. I explained this to the manufacturer and they defaulted to the build date, 11/23/2010. I was about 20 days past manufacture date and only in the house for 5 years and 50 weeks.

Reply to
Leon

The annoying thing for me is that I typically get adds for something I just bought and may not buy again for 20 years.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Or have decided not to buy (possibly because I bought a competitor's widget).

Reply to
krw

Me too. Amazon does this all the time via email and ads.. WTF. Actually having an issue with Amazon right now. I bought a ton of stuff, and because of free shipping (I don't have Prime).. They are waiting a week b4 shipping. I believe they trying to force me to buy Prime, so they are letting the order sit a week.

Reply to
woodchucker

No, they are scheduling people according to need. Prime orders do get priority since they guarantee two day delivery. Orders received for next day or Prime must be shipped promptly. They staff to do that. Some days are busier than others so on a busy day Prime orders go out, the others sit.

They do tell you up front that the free shipping orders will take longer. You knew that when you clicked "place order" so what is your issue? If you were the seller I bet you'd do the same thing.

If it makes you feel better, Jeff Bezos is only the second richest man and has a way to go to beat out Gates.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski