220 V table saws and ground

[[ sneck ]]

Try reading again. :) I knew the guy, personally. His masters thesis was on the subject of optimizing lightbulb construction. I actually read the whole thing -- before submission, in fact, as he wanted my editorial help, and knew I could also follow the math.

The gathered experimental data fit a simple 11th order curve (with an error under 5 parts in 10,000), over a range of more than three orders of magnitude, in bulb life. i.e., of the form ax^11+k, no other elements.

Actually, it does, when you're justifying running some lighting circuits off a (slight :) step-down auto-transformer. Accurate predictions of results _do_ lead to repeat business. :)

No I don't. For many kinds of environments there is a _minimum_ recommended level of illumination for the task(s) done there. (more below)

For standard incandescent bulbs, going up 'one standard wattage' results in about 50% more light output. Note; at the _same_ service life, light output _does_ correlate linearly with power consumption. One gets 50% more light from a 75 watt bulb, vs a 60 watt one, because of design differences that result in a 25% _lower_ life expectancy for the 75 watt bulb.

_That_ depends on the environment, and the situation. In business settings you have to have certain minimums to keep OSHA inspectors, insurers, etc. happy. With built-in fixtures, you can't change the source to work- surface distance, so all you _can_ play with is the light output of the bulb. 'Subjective' perception, or not, that circa 50% range between adjacent standard bulb ratings _is_ enough that the 'legal' requirement can preclude using the next lower standard rating, but still allow the use of a, say, de-rated 130V bulb.

If they're regular bulbs, in flush-mount ceiling fixtures, there is a 'grabber' pole that makes that height pretty much a non-issue.

Now a _cord-supported_ can hanging 30+ ft above the nearest floor surface (and 6-8 ft below the ceiling) is an entirely different story. Can't use the grabber pole -- the fixture isn't 'stable' enough to grab the bulb, Have to bring in the portable man lift, move furniture out of the way for _that_, etc. it can easily take an hour or more, all told, to change a =single= light bulb. (One can probably, however, change at least 5-6 bulbs in the same room in 90 minutes total. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Damn, Sam! ... and all this time I thought you were a lawyer ... go figure! :)

Reply to
Swingman

In the little forest town I used to live in the power is on poles.

Downtown was a bit ugly with power poles on both sides and lots of other phone and cable wires..

The group of store owners got together and pressed the county commissioners and the power company was pressed to put it under ground.

The power company didn't look back - it was great. Even house moves didn't require them to come and parades didn't have to look at float heights...

It was a win - win concept.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I use flood lights in CFL but not those that I need on NOW.

The general wait until someone comes type are cfl - I can plan the warm up time. Once lit, they are bright. Off color but bright.

I tried some of the beginner mass market LED lamps - I'm sure they are imports - and they are DIM. The package had 40W on it - covered up with a sticker. They are like 15's. Light but not enough. Now I have 8 and need to find a home. Maybe Array lights to add up the light.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

From

years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However, recent information from Bell Labs has proven otherwise. lectric bulbs don't emit light, they suck dark. Thus they now call these bulbs dark suckers. The dark sucker theory, according to a Bell Labs spokesperson, proves the existence of dark, that dark has mass heavier than that of light, and that dark is faster than light.

The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take for example, the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have a much greater capacity than the ones in this room. As with all things, dark suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker.

A candle is a primitive dark sucker. lA new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the path of the dark flowing into the candle.

Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range. There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all of the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker. Candles present a special problem, as the dark must travel in the solid wick instead of through glass. This generates a great amount of heat. Thus it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle.

Dark is also heavier than light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets slowly darker and darker. When you reach a depth of approximately fifty feet, you are in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the lighter light floats to the top.

The immense power of dark can be utilized to man's advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to the bottom of lakes and push it through turbines, which generate electricity and help push it to the ocean where it may be safely stored. Prior to turbines, it was much more difficult to get dark from the rivers and lakes to the ocean. The Indians recognized this problem, and tried to solve it. When on a river in a canoe travelling in the same direction as the flow of the dark, they paddled slowly, so as not to stop the flow of dark, but when they traveled against the flow of dark, they paddled quickly so as to help push the dark along its way.

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet, but since the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet.

In conclusion, Bell Labs stated that dark suckers make all our lives much easier. So the next time you look at an electric bulb remember that it is indeed a dark sucker.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I do believe you've gone over to the dark side.

Reply to
krw

I rather like underground utilities. I don't like unfunded mandates (or politicians who love unfunded mandates).

Reply to
krw