Zanussi TC470 Dryer Does not Heat

Hi All

My Zanussi TC 470 Condenser dryer does not seem to be heating any more. The drum turns but the clothes do not seem hot (a bit warm though) - and they certainly are not dry.

I have checked all of the filters, water tank etc. Does anybody know what might be causing this? Is it fixable by a reasonably technically adept layman or does it require a visit by a service person?

Many thanks for any help

- Dale

Reply to
Dale Edgar

We have one of these models, when I had it apart a few weeks back to change the belt, I noticed that it had a really simple layout. I don't remember seeing a thermostat, so it's likely a failed overtemp switch or thermal fuse. Have you got a DMM you can fault find with?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

You'd better hope it isn't the element, One site I just looked on has it listed at £60 :( The picture shows the cutout mounted on the element, I'd check that first.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Yep, I've had a similar problem this week with our Zanussi drier (not a TC470). The heating element has a small bi-metalic strip cut-out mounted near the element on the fan side to prevent the element overheating should the air flow stop for any reason. The contacts on the cut-out were corroded or burnt, probably due to arcing. The cut-out on ours was in the blue neutral wire and could be removed by taking out one screw and removing 2 lucar connectors. I cleaned the contacts with and diamond contact file and then some 800 grade wet & dry paper folded double. It works fine now. You may be able to buy a new cut-out but I did not try.

Good luck - Andy

Reply to
Andy

Looking at the link below. it looks to be a different thing on the TC470. It might still be worth having a look though.

cut-out is only available with the element. Ouch!

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hi Lee

Yes I do have a multimeter. Any idea how to tell if the ELEMENT C/W CUTOUT is the problem?

Cheers Dale

Reply to
Dale Edgar

Obviously unplug the tumble ;) Check the continuity of the element, IIRC it is a dual element, so measure both "ends" from the common. If this is ok, then check the cutout, there may be two, one for each element. If the cutouts measures ok, then the next step would be to check the wring between the element and the timer and finally the timer switch itself. Obviously you are looking to make sure the timer switches are ok.

Don't forget to inspect the connectors and cables for overheating, replace any that are damaged.

I think the cutouts are sealed, if they measure ok on cold resistance, then you may need to measure the voltage drop across them with the tumble running - obviously only do this if you know what you are doing and can do it safely.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver