Zanussi sensorcycle 1050 washing machine problem

Hi all, I wonder if anyone could help me guage how serious a problem I

having with my washing machine.We have had this machine 5 Years and it just out of extended warrantry by 3 weeks.The machine fills ok wit water,and then is supposed to go into the wash cycle but instead o starting a gentle cycle it starts to turn irratically as if it wa starting a spin,this lasts for about 5 seconds and then repeats this couple of times before the programmer starts turning past all th programmes ,It continues turning and the only way to stop the turn i by switching off the machine.Once you get the machine to empty b turning the dial to the end of programme it should then do a fina spin,it trys to start this but once again the programmer start turnin continuiously until you have to switch it off.I think possibly th programmer is gone but is there any way of testing it or adjustin it.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.The make of the machine is Zanussi sensorcycle 1050

-- Terry

Reply to
Terry

Hi, Seems that the programmer is gone. I'm afraid theres no way to repair it and even if its repairable it will cost more than a new one. The best you can do is to find a Zanussi agent and replace the faulty programmer. take care. Met

Reply to
st

Check the tacho magnet on the back end of the motor. pound to a penny the magnet has worked loose...

Reply to
Egbert Nobacon

my Zanussi sensorcycle 1250 took up smoking last night, bloody house stinks of burning electricals. bloody torx security screws holding the lid on and I can't find my set.

Reply to
Reddi-sparks

Replying to OP - but my newsserver ate that one though...

I don't know the programmer used in these - but the only type I know about is the old cam switch type. These often had a synchronous motor coil turning a large camset which operated a load of switch leaves arranged down both sides.

I can't for the life of me think how a synchronous motor could do this - so it must be a slightly different type of controller I'm not familiar with. But assuming it's some sort of cam with a different type of motor arrangement:

It does sound like the programmer has failed in an interesting way. Try turning the water off and starting the programme as you have done. Give it a few minutes, then turn the water on. Does it behave itself until the fill sensor triggers?

In some cases the fill sensor will cut the power to the controller motor until the machine has filled, then start the programmer ticking again.

In which case I would say the controller's dead. Unlikely to be anything you can do for it.

If you feel confident with electricity (I'm taking it as read that you'll turn everything off and unplug before going inside it!), take the cover off and disconnect the controller's motor coil if it's external - sometimes on the back of the unit. Put power back and try manually selecting different positions and see if you can get it to spin, wash and empty OK.

That should show there's nothing wrong with the rest of the system. Because washing machine motors can be complex affairs with multiple windings and 2-phase drive (2nd phase is arrived at by a big capacitor) weirdness in the controller which has to manage the windings can make the main motor behave in very odd and erratic ways.

Cam controllers are a bit of a pain to change but not actually difficult. You just have to label 100+ wires (half of which loop between different parts of the controller to achieve the logic required). Then pull off and plug onto a replacement unit. If the labels fall off whilst doing this, you are essensially doomed. I used little card price tags on strings - they are reasonably resilient.

That knowledge was based entirely on an old Indesit - but maybe something will be helpful?

Cheers

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

Egbert Nobacon] Cheers for that info tipped the m/c up and the tachn magnet was loose[only thing is there is no way of locking it tight , just pushed it in as far as it would go.Is there any way of tightenin it in its location or is what i have done ok.} I cant thank you enough

-- Terry

Reply to
Terry

Well that was worth knowing about. Cheers.

On the second point - drop of glue or silicone sealant?

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

No problem Terry, I am assuming you gently prised coil out of housing and found tacho magnet on a plastic thread had worked loose?. I usually use a spot of threadlock on shaft and tighten with a pair of needle nosed pliers (bent nose type are especially useful here) then refit coil. (coil should be held in place with a large castellated washer, usually black in colour) you'll probably find castellated washer lurking in base of machine somewhere.

The normal course of events is that the magnet comes loose and pushes coil from housing, causing an overspeed on motor. PCB will sense lack of voltage from tacho coil and go into a fault condition mode and avance to end of cycle to prevent damage to machine.

If you cant find washer, drill a wee hole through aluminium housing and secure with self tapper. (careful not to damage coil!!!) But make sure magnet is good and tight first.

HTH

Egbert

Reply to
Egbert Nobacon