YT: Turning Smashed TVs into Realistic Artificial Daylight

Recycling not the backlight...

Such a good idea, someone posted

"Well, here I am wishing my TV would break. That's an odd feeling."

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Brilliant! (literally ;-) ) Thanks for posting this, all I need now is a dead TV.

Reply to
nothanks

The last one I threw away had a failed backlight, so not much use for this!

I did strip it down and found that it was failure of the LEDs and not the power supply. Replacements were too expensive to bother trying to fix it

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In the video it is noted that it is the diffuser and fresnel lens in the screen is more use than a backlight (he replaces a backlight that is inconvenient to power with a fairly generic LED strip).

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

Does anyone remember the Seiko portable black and whit tvs. They had a kind of clam shell design with a mirror in one half and an lcd with a window behind it. The idea being you or could sit in the park and look into the mirror and the daylight was the backlight. It was fine for black and white of course and the batteries lasted for ages. The did sell a self powered back light for it, but it was heavy and ate batteries. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not all screens are edge lit though. Many of the ones I have seen/repaired[1] have a backlight consisting of strips of LEDs mounted on long thin PCBs, that point at the back of the screen panel, and are arranged in a number of rows down the screen. These screens have lots of diffusion layers, but not always a fresnel one.

[1] Individual LEDs failing, often stopping the backlight PSU from starting, leading to no backlight. You can identify the failed strip by powering it up from a few cascaded PP3s. Sometimes the failed LED looks obvious due to heat damage around it. Desoldering the chip may restore operation, although IME, once they have started failing, others will soon follow. The strips are usually pricey enough to make repair non economic if you need to replace more than one.
Reply to
John Rumm

Aren't there screens which have LEDs lighting a square of pixels so the black areas of the screen don't have to be backlit at all? And dimly lit areas have partly lit LEDs and the TFT elements adjusted to suit?

Reply to
Max Demian

My lappy must have becaiuse sometimes it starts flickering!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup, dynamic backlighting... the resolution is *very* coarse compared to the actual pixel count though (unless you go OLED, in which case its 1:1)

Reply to
John Rumm

What sad individual would sit in the park watching TV?

Even at this point in my existence, where scantily clad females have lost a lot of their appeal, I still wouldn,t watch TV when out.

AB

Saol fada agus breac-shláinte chugat.

Unless of course you are a Brexit voting moron or child molester

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp