You're not a real DIYer until --

What use is it for diy? Releasing oil is more for cars ime. I've never got wd40 to release any diy thing, it makes a total mess out of wood, and there are far quicker ways to release fixings than that, like drilling or grinding.

Some are too stiff for anything to work though.

numbers

No chance! A real diyer knows feckups happen and is equipped to deal with them all if they do. Its just part of the job. And why do onlookers get so overexcited about it?

There are good ones, but far too many skill-free folk to trust unknown people. Gawd you should see some of the plastering. Whoever did that should have described themselves as artexers to avoid Trades Descriptions Act problems.

I guess that list was more for those that treat it as a weekend hobby. I wouldnt be buying supplies at BnQ or putting things up askew meself.

or a house maybe. There cant be many people left for whom the 2 are the same thing nowadays, used to be.

too many legal problems these days, with power tools anyway, and ladders.

Not nearly so likely to admire a professional's work.

I'm wondering what way the OP was thinking there.

I think that concept features in some people's diy efforts as well. Some folk are quite brazen about it too.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Odd, isn't it, that people would balk at sharing their house with large animals who would save on heating as well as feeding them yet have 'pets' such as dogs, cats, rats, mice, ferrets, birds of all kinds - all of which need feeding and don't provide food ...

You're obviously not a true d-i-y-er.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Heh, must be. I can think of 3 ways to do it, but none of them satisfactory for very much.

  1. hit the pointy end - trashes the wood and is unnecessarily hard work.
  2. Use the claws to lever it out - only works if head sticking up
  3. Smash the whole thing apart, screw may the drop out. - sometimes useful.
  4. Smack the wood and hope it pops out - only useful for very loose floorboards

In short, none of the above are that useful.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

You said you could think of three ways to do it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think the original post is making the assumption that the screw's head is protruding, in which case you can sometimes get the claw onto the shaft of the screw - turning the hammer will then loosen it.

Or I might be talking crap.

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

Sounds good to me - but how often do you find scerws that werent driven home?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

And I did

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Seldom, but whatever was screwed on could have rotted away.

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

I counted four ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

He sat about thinking about it for ten years (most of it at work too!)

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I see. So I should get a job and think about the scissors-problem-in-every-room theory for ten years.

Hmm.

Tumpty tum ...

Perhaps I'll just buy another set. That usually means that the others are found ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from Andrew Chesters contains these words:

I haven't been paying much attention to this thread but I don't think anyone has mentioned the easy way to get a screw out if you don't much care about the damage. First line up the claw with the screwhead. Take a second hammer and belt face of first hammer until claw is under head. Extract as for nail.

Reply to
Roger

so did I. Therefore I succeeded in thinking of 3 ways.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Unless you've been over-enthusiastic and cut through the screw-head ... :-(

Then revert to Plan A.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You certainly know how to confuse a poor white headed old lady ...

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Where do lost scissors go? I once saw a calculation about needles and pins. This sad character had found out the annual production of UK factories and then wondered why we are not constantly falling over them.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

A planet similar to the one to which biros flee?

I found a needle in the grden the other day. It was rusty so in a fit of recklessness I put it in the dustbin. It had some black thread in it ... perhaps I should fish it out ... a bit of WD40 and some fine emery paper ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Shh! You don't know who's reading this. I assumed that all DIYers kept quiet about the fact that they sometimes (?) make mistakes, occasionally expensive ones. After all we can can always bluff our way out to the loved ones as we high-tail it to the merchants to replace the blown-up or wrong-sized.

I think that there is a new coming of age for the offspring of DIYers. My youngest son has just had his trouser leg rolled up and the apron put on (figuratively speaking). He is now so skilled that I told him the eternal secret. 'If you can see that something needs doing I now trust you to do it. If you muck it up don't worry, I DO IT TOO!.' (Sorry about caps but this is earth shattering stuff! Now that is a real coming of age. Keep your bar Mitvah, first hangover or hunting ritual. BTW I also told him about the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas at the same time.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Not to mention Stanley knives. And steel tape measures.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I hope you meant recycle bin!

Peter Scott