yet another combi planning question

it may have course been dealt with before .....

I am looking to install central heating in a 5 bed semi - the kitchen is very small and there is no external wall space to hang a combi -= in fact there is very little space at all!

There are a couple of good reasons to put the combi in upstairs bedroom - including easy access to outsdie wall and it would minimise runs of pipe to showrr room, bathroom and kitchen

main question is how noisy are they ? this will be the main bedroom are some less noisy than others ?

I assume 22 mm gas pipe (easiest run will be 35 feet from meter) most of the way

I was thinking of two zones upstairs and down each fed by 22 mm pipe

6 rooms upstairs and 3 downstairs but more heat needed in downstairs living areas of course Separate thermostats on each zone or do I just rely on TRVs

any other comments ?

Reply to
jim.arnold

If it has 5 bedrooms its likely to have at least two bathrooms, and the cost and size effectiveness of a combi *at all* is called into question.

Can't you build a boilerhoue, put a decent system boiler in that, and use the space upstairs for a nice megaflo tank instead?

Or ios there an old fireplace to be used for similar?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about the loft? How about outside in a metal cupboard with frost stat inside?

Eldon

do external electrical cabinets which can easily take a boiler. They are not insulated AFAIK, but worth asking them. The holes will have to be cut out by the installer. I recall one fitted, but foam insulation was cut and fitted inside the cabinet and its doors by the fitter; a simple job. If I recall correctly one of these cabinets will be around £300. Best to check with Eldon. This will add £300 and about 1.5 hours work to fit inc insulation. £300 may be cheap if the space is really needed, installation is difficult or if a kitchen or parts of the house has to be ripped apart to fit a boiler.

Most boilers do have integral frost protection, but check. Most don't need ventilation so no air vents needed. Make sure the flue is fitted correctly and not too close to the wall. Most makers will allow a horizontal exit flue to be 25 -100mm from a wall, but check with makers. This means that the flue will come out of the side of the cabinet. The best position to prevent water ingress.

Most are too noisy for a bedroom. The more expensive tend to be quieter.

Should be OK. Check the gas pipe size from the CDA web site.

zone stats are the best bet with a combi which is basically a system boiler.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:17:49 +0100 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

Indeed. A boiler connected to a thermal store is probably the best option these days, with a solar panel providing heat to the store as well.

Reply to
David Hansen

Agreed, as a starting point. but the (informed) customer is always right, if they aren't then it's probably time to let deal with someone else. 8-)

Noise levels depend on the make, model and power out put.

Some are nearly silent when on medium power.

Gas supply looks like it might need a section of 28mm to comply if going for a combi but should be OK if you are going for a non combi. What is the spaced heating requirement?

Reply to
Ed Sirett