Honywell CM927 - better alternative?

As posted a while back the LCD screen on the Honywell CM927 thermostat is failing.

Pain in the butt, and now is the time to replace central heating parts before they are needed when the cold weather returns.

The screen failure seems to be a known fault, so I am reluctant to lash out around £100 for a replacement if it is going to fail again in another two to three years. Then again my daughter has one and it is fine so far.

So is there an alternative wireless programmable thermostat with better reliability and functionality for about the same price?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Dunno who the price compares, but a relative has been very pleased with the HeatGenius system I helped them install.

ZWave based, Danfoss ZWave TRVs and wall mounted sensors which just stick on with a sticky pad. Assuming the TRVs can mate with your valves, the installation is a doddle.

The *only* downside is the only practical way to drive it is from a phone app or web. Both are excellent - but it is missing a local wall mounted controller.

That may not matter, or it may be a killer missing feature - but the rest of the system has been extremely stable and well behaved as well as insanely customisable.

A "cheat" to save on buying unnecessary TRVs (the expensive part) is to not fit them to the bathroom(s) and maybe not to the main living room if that tends to be used all day. There is a concept of "whole house c all for heat" under the control of your schedule plus a master stat which means you could just let these rooms heat when that, or the bedroom zones demand. Just refit basic TRV heads to limit the temperature.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quite a lot more than £100 just for the controller, without replacing all my TRVs and adding movement sensors.

Interesting system but not on my investment plan at the moment.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I used to recommend Honeywell, but I too have had some failures, the 'down' button on my own has stopped working.

Anyway, Plumbcenter have an own-branded wireless programmable stat for £51:

It is a re-branded Honeywell, albeit an older version. I've fitted at least 6 of these with no problems yet.

Reply to
A.Lee

I don't even know if my "ideal" programmable thermostat exists, but if it does it would display the set-point and current air temp on the "default" screen and have only one active control in normal operation which would be a large tactile knob, turning a rotary encoder giving it the feel and look (other than the LCD display) of a traditional bi-metal stat.

I currently have a "Celect" wireless programmable thermostat that has a large clear display, and displays both temperatures simultaneously, but also has the dreaded up/down buttons. I wouldn't recommend it for that, and other reasons.

Reply to
Graham.

Thanks - will have a look at that. I really like the Honeywell functionality and portability, and have had no problems with previous Honeywell products, but the reported failure rate of the CM927 is not encouraging.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

The Danfoss TP7000 does that, one big, one small.

Up/Down buttons to bump the set point, another to set it to "all day", and a fourth to extend the current set point by 1, 2, or 3 hrs (IIRC).

I've got a TP7000 RF (ie no wires to the thermostat unit) and it's predesessor (TP75 RF?). Both "just work", though I have just noticed that the TP7000's display is lacking contrast so its 2 x AA's need changing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sadly, the TP7000RF is almost equal in price to the Honeywell CM297.

It would be nice if you could just buy the Honeywell thermostat part without the wireless part.

Reply to
David

Is that 297 a typo or a different model number?

The TP7000RF and the RF Honeywell of similar spec (which I thought was the 927) used to be about the same price.

You can get a wired TP7000. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

replying to David, Dive The Boat wrote: Hi, I have an CM927 unit, it has been in the kitchen not far from the kettle and the display was intermittent and hard to decipher. I put it in a plastic bag with a dehumidifier from a pound shop to see if drying it out would help. The display is working again. Whether this is because of it being dried out or just something that would have happened over time anyway I may never know. Anyway, for now it's working again !! I'll update this as it develops !!

Reply to
Dive The Boat

STILL WORKING but only if it's in the plastic bag with the moisture trap dehumidifier!! I've had it in the bag until it the display cleared then each time I've taken it out, the display has slowly begun to fade away. The second time I did this, the display got worse when I first put it in the bag but did then come back to normal functioning. So far it has been three days in the bag with the clear display back again and no deterioration !!

Reply to
Dive The Boat

Hi Lee my honeywell cm927 wireless thermostat LC D faulty can you tell me the name of the one you are talking about , do Ineed to buy both units or can I bind this one with honeywell wireless unit

Reply to
Redman

You are welcome to post here, but please read the following before replying to a 5 year old post:

Fredxx

Have you tried this fix:

John Rumm