XP box

Easy to find on the interwebs? What do you need?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That was always my biggest issue. Oh, that and packages not updating because some suppository had magically made it's self illegal/invalid/duplicated/unknown or whatever with no clear way to rectify the situation.

Why can't Linux have a simple option in the gear-wheelsy config "desktop" bit that allows you to select number of kernel files kept e.g.

3 "roll-backs" as default ?

Needless to say I haven't booted up a Linux virtual box since the last time it decided it needed peeking and poking or whatever to get it to play nicely after it tried to update after a virgin install. Still at least with virtual machines is easy to get rid of. ;)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

T i m posted

I don't know. Googling for "XP installation disk" produces a large amount of contradictory advice.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Ok ... Do you have an existing system or a COA (Licence) sticker you could refer to perchance?

On an existing system there are tools that will display the *actual* code in use, rather than what is being displayed (Belarc Advisor being one and that also tells you a lot of other things).

Sure, but you might be mixing terms / needs there. An 'installation disk', as supplied by the board or box manufacturer then if it was a big player then might be able to buy a replacement (unlikely now) or find / download / torrent one somewhere.

Or (and better imho) is to see what version you are currently running (see above and look at the System display in Control panel and it should say something like Windows XP Professional 64 bit so that's what you are looking for. I think there were also two versions around

2002 (so before and after etc).

From there you just need the boot / install media, follow the prompts and not long later you will have a fresh install. You may still have to install some drivers but again, they should be available from the board or box maker, is XP was originally an option.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to