Wrong light switch?

I have purchase some light switches, but instead of having 2 terminals they have 3 (SW1, SW2, Common). It seems they are intended for places that have 2 switches (ie. top and bottom of stairs).

Is there any way I can use these as normal switches, and if so which way round would I wire them?

Also - when replacing plastic switches (where the earth is wired to the wall casing) with metal switches, I assume that the earth should be connected to the switch not the casing?

Reply to
anon90210

Use Common and SW1.

You should wire to both. The circuit earth should go to the metal faceplate and a separate flying lead should go from the metal faceplate earth to the backing box. All earths must be sheathed in green/yellow, and must not be left bare.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just use Common and *one* of SW1 or SW2 (ignore the other one)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Use common and L1. If the switch operates 'upside down' use common and L2.

The best way is to move the earth to the switch earth terminal, and run a similar earth wire sleeved in the same way to the box terminal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

is in necessasry to do the latter if the box is plastic, or only if it is metal?

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:17:32 +0000, Andy Burns strung together this:

Only when the box is metal.

Reply to
Lurch

IMHO, only metal. But it does no harm if plastic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suppose the earthing points on the placcie ones are more effectively just a physical anchoring point ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:08:06 +0000, Andy Burns strung together this:

Yep. Some accesories say something along those lines on them.

Reply to
Lurch

A suitable place to make off the earth in an all plastic switch and box installation in case of future metal switch etc installation. Many simply cut off the EEC, and taping it up isn't so sanitary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh if they were even that. Most plastic boxes have dispensed with such a useful 'add to cost' altogether :-(

Reply to
Mike