Worktop/wall transition.

Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done - but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

Is there a small posh looking trim that would do the job? I generally dislike those too - usually used to cover a poor transition. Or rather look like it to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

A length of oak architrave looks good - other woods are available ;-)

Reply to
nothanks

on 01/12/2020, Dave Plowman (News) supposed :

I go for practical, rather than posh. I originally found a 3M sticky back flexible trim, hinged down the middle, which served for both worktops and around baths. It came as a roll. That worked and generally stuck well, but tended to eventually come unstuck and discolour.

Some months ago I discovered a plastic quadrant, from Eurocell, really intended for double glazing installs. It comes in two sizes, white or brown, sticks and seals perfectly with a mastic and it is very, very cheap.

I originally bought some for replacing the MDF quadrant, used around laminate flooring.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

That's a very broad brush you're painting. I would struggle to see the difference between grout and a silicone sealant with a matt finish.

YMMV

Reply to
Fredxx

If there's no appreciable gap between tiles and worktop, a very thin fillet of clear sealant does the job, and is almost invisible.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm leaning towards that sort of thing. But not as large as architrave.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Make your own (or get a woodworker to do so) or just use a piece of hardwood moulding from the sheds

Reply to
nothanks

Quadrant?

Reply to
PeterC

When I have put sealant around window frames I have put masking tape on each side of the where I want the sealant to be. The tape must be removed immediately after the sealant has been applied. If I ever replace the sealant where my kitchen worktops meet the walls I plan to use the same technique.

--

Reply to
Michael Chare

You may not need the tape if you use something like

(I have the Aldi/Lidl version that cost < £4 - but only the blue parts and not the orange parts as in the Amazon listing)

Practice first - the trick is not to apply too much sealant in the first place.

I've also found it much easier to silicone using a heavy duty gun rather than a cheap flimsy gun. I found a heavy duty applicator gun in Wilko a couple of years back for <£7.

Reply to
alan_m

I do the same - it works very well.

Reply to