Worktop overhang at the end of a run of units

Is there a convention for the amount of worktop overhang at the end of a run of units? And if a run is against an external corner, is it usual to fit the worktop right up to the corner or to set it back slightly?

Was planning an overhang of about 10mm and setting back about 20mm

Quick sketch here:

know this comes down to personal choice but just wondered what the majority opinion was.

Reply to
mike

Same overhang as you have at the front I would think, and inset from the corner as in the illustration. If there's nothing crucial at the other end, no point in squeezing it to the left

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I hade something similar and brought the worktop up to a door facing (about 30mm overhang) and rounded off the front edge with the router as I suspected that I would keep bumping into the corner when walking past.

Reply to
Archie

Whatever the overhang, I'd definitely round off the corner. I still have a scar on my back where I stood up after picking something up off the floor and the corner left a large gouge in my flesh.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

If it's laminated, you can't easily do this, although if the worktop is being made for you by a facility which does postforming, they can.

So have I, but that was from standing up under the (no longer) supported corner of a stainless steel drainer after I finished taking the cupboard out from underneath. The exposed burr was much sharper than any knife, and made a clean cut right through my T-shirt and me, without me feeling a thing (until a few seconds later). Initially thought I'd knocked over a mug of tea on the draining board, until I realised the warm fluid running down my back was red...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for all the replies.

Can't round off the corner in this instance as it's laminated --- I'm sure I'll avoid walking into it after a visit to the School of Hard Knocks.

Reply to
mike