Workbench adapts to circular saw & routers

Hi All

Just seen a Wolfcraft 1000 which claims to be able to turn a circular saw into a table saw and likewise can fit a router as well.

Anybody tried one of these as a router/circ saw table combo? Is it safe to mount a circ saw in this way?

Here's the link - looks pretty damn good though for £100, and almost too good to be true.

Matt

Reply to
MattP

I have one of those, or something very similar. It's not very good really, I rarely use it as a saw bench and I've never managed to do anything useful with as a router table.

The guides aren't well enough engineered to trust them for anything but rough cutting and it's quite a bit of hassle to mount tools into the table.

It's maybe not quite as bad as I'm painting but it's not wonderful.

Reply to
usenet

jigsaw/router facility:

postage, apparently (though the advert suggests January). Barter.

PoP

PoP

This one does at least show some guards and fences, however it's not clear whether they are included in the price. Theyu could be separately priced and made the total a lot more when you buy all the bits.

It would be dangerous to mount a portable circular saw in this way without proper accessories and guards. The accuracy won't be brilliant with this type of arrangement - i.e. you won't do precision cabinet making with it, but it might be OK for general DIY work.

Bear in mind the setup time. The setups on this type of arrangement can be time consuming and involve fiddling with several sets of bits. If you are only doing occasional work then that could be acceptable.

I have one of their Master 800 Workmate look-alikes. It is a lot better made and more solid than the B&D ones are now - quite heavy though.

I would suggest downloading the manual on the bench you have in mind and look in more detail.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The guards and fences for a circular saw are included, my Skil Classic fitted without any problems. You need extra (i.e. optional, buy if you want) bits to use the table with a router.

Reply to
usenet

Reply to
MattP

The router bits and pieces cost something around £20 I *think* but it's quite a while ago so I wouldn't rely on that figure.

That's not a terribly clear question - "it is accurate enough for close cutting?" It's fine for cutting, say, a 10" plank into two 5" wide planks, also for cutting strips off the edge of sheets of chipboard etc. For cutting large sheets of material you'll need extra support though. I wouldn't want to cut a 1" wide strip off something and expect it to be accurately 1" wide all along its length.

Reply to
usenet