Woodchip subsitute

Any ideas for replicating the appearance of woodchip wallpaper. I have made good a bit of plaster and I need to fiish off an area about 12 x18inches at the bottom of a wall around a corner and partly behind a radiator. Cant find a left over roll - can't be arsed to buy one as it will not get used. Any subsitute ideas. Was thinking of a stippled emulsion finish.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Coat of emulsion, apply small wood chips while wet, another coat of emulsion.

Reply to
John Williamson

And if you don't have any wood chips handy, just remove about one in every hundred from the rest of the wall. No-one will notice.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Dab the wet plaster with a wet sponge before it goes off

Reply to
harryagain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Picked up a sample bit of woodchip paper - enought to cover the repair. I have some PVA - could I use this or do I have to get wallpaper paste (that I will never finish)?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Years ago I remember my Dad sticking patches of wallpaper back with flour and water.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

You probably could - may need to dilute it down a bit.

Handy trick for hiding the edges of patched woodchip where it joins - tear the paper - try to leave the edge as feathered as possible. Then when you paste it in, the torn edge just vanishes.

Reply to
John Rumm

We used to make paste by cooking starch (cornflour)and water till it went clear and gluggy.

Reply to
F Murtz

Wickes: Wood Chip Wallpaper 10m

£2.99 should not break the bank and won't matter if you sling the rest away.
Reply to
Judith

Judith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Agreed - that is what I did last time! Wife collected a sample from B&M and it was enough!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I used porridge oats but the texture was too angular and sharp. Probably because the old woodchip had been painted a dozen times. Three coats of emulsion later the texture is getting close but that patch is whiter than white so I need to repaint the whole ceiling

I'd recommend stealing a sample piece of woodchip from wickes and feathering the edges

Reply to
Keith

Tear the woodchip roughly, that'll feather it and keep the chips intact.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

3 days' work to avoid £2.99. Emulsion is not normally gap filling, you'll need something else to do that bit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr