Wood-lice - any way of keeping them out?

Is there any known antidote to wood-lice in the house? [Nb This house is in Italy, if that is relevant.]

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Remove the damp. Wood lice cannot live unless there is damp about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No you don't need to remove the damp wood - the woodlice will do it for you, and when it's all gone they will go too. They are doing you a favour. Actually they really can be useful - I've removed door frames where the damp bottom end has been eaten away by woodlice which cures the damp prob by creating a gap.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Agreed, they are a symptom of a problem, not a problem themselves. Did you know they are the only fully terrestrial crustacians? Land crabs need to lay their eggs in the sea, woodlice have solved that one. They do need damp but as they have gills still. So if you have a lot you have a problem you need to find.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

That won't keep the woodlice out. Woodlice are terminally stupid and will continue to stray into and remain in places that are too dry for them to live.

Reply to
Roger

Yes I know the problem. I had them too because of a crap piece of plumbing in the bathroom. I cured it but still they come walking up to the third floor in my house. Sadly, they never make it back. Or maybe it's do with my lodger flooding 2 storeys of the house a year ago by not realising the outflow from the washing machine was supposed to go in the sink!

Reply to
Maris

Find out why they're coming in and sort that out. Then sort out the places they're living in outside and move it further from your home. And lastly if you have a cat like mine who brings them in you'll continue to find them.

Reply to
mogga

Yup, saw one on the stairs a few days ago, a long way from any water source. First I have seen inside for some time.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Try these:

bathroom at least should have several Drassodes. (Mind u, I have seen even these pounce on wood lice and then change their minds!)

And I recall, while I'm at it, seeing film of people in the tropics leaving their homes and offices open for soldier ants to march through and clean out every bug from every crevice.

spamlet