With gas being so cheap.....

Good for you.

But this is not an investment gamble - I'm paying 9.09p/kWh and that is an absolute saving over Scottish Power who wanted to charge me 15p (and the standing charges were factored in to the overall saving which is a few hundred (all electric heating).

Reply to
Tim Watts

So far, my SSE supply (I'm in the East Anglian countryside) has the ability to do those things. Whenever I have done a comparison to see whether it's worth switching, it hasn't been. They did have a time when they could not work out my bill as soon as I submitted a meter reading, but that was sorted.

If you want to see billing incompetence, try BT. I left them long ago.

Reply to
Davey

They are within pence (over a year) of eon's tariff for me ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't know where I got those numbers from, it should have been

E = 10.36p G = 02.43p

I was really only looking at how much cheaper the gas is per Kw compared to electricity and would a gas powered home generator with heat recovery be worth while.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andy Burns formulated on Thursday :

Pennies make for pounds :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well, if selling it back can be done for solar and wind...

The beauty of lots of small local generators is that it is generated locally. Distribution losses can be much less, chances of complete loss are less, but small scale generation is expensive.

I recently heard of at least one isolated village in the NE, where their power is generated locally, they are not on the mains network, though billed by a network supplier.

Details were scant and none tech, but I wonder if their generator is synced to the mains network. It often runs out of fuel.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm surprised that there's so much difference. I've been with SP for sometime and whenever I've done a price comparison the difference between them and the cheapest competitor has been trivial.

Never heard of Extra Energy before, but for us (West Midlands area) there isn't that big a difference in tariffs. SP 11.145p/kWh EE

10.091p/kWh. Standing charge SP 20.55p/day EE 17.9 p/day. About 10% less and that difference is probably due to recent price reductions.
Reply to
Bill Taylor

Much the same for me. Perhaps Tim managed a good deal which is now closed, as is the way of these things.

I have just checked Extra Energy directly, and run Comparethemarket.com. Here in the East Midlands I could only save about £60 pa, and would also have to accept an exit penalty.

Did I hear today that the next round of price reductions may have started?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I've not heard of anyone else following suit yet, but eon have lopped 5% off their gas prices ... which takes their standard tariff down to roughly the price you could get last year on their unpublished MSE tariff.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thank you - I'll bear that in mind for my next move :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

There used to be a gas engine driven generation unit in many Forte hotels. The one near York Racecourse had a cooling tower to get rid of the heat during summer.

Reply to
johnjessop46

Chicken shit

Reply to
bert

In article , Davey writes

AIUI Npower are the top of the league in that respect.

Reply to
bert

In article , dennis@home.?.invalid writes

Don't forget not all the energy suppliers are on the comparison websites.

Reply to
bert

snip

They do have a certain reputation, indeed. Luckily, I have never been involved with them.

Reply to
Davey

I did a project on that once - fermenting rubbish with chicken shit to get methane.

Wasn't a great success, but what do you expect of a school project!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Why do conversion at all?

Most domestic requirements can be met with gas - heating, lighting, cooking etc.

The main electrical consumers are probably the washing machine, fridge/ freezer, and computer things.

Fridge/freezer can run on gas (most camping ones are multi-fuel) so all you need now is a gas powered TV and you are good to go :-)

Reply to
David