Wiring In Shower Pump

Hello All

I want to wire my shower pump in (QT120) I was going to wire it into its own circuit via a switched FCU using the old power shower supply but I'm buggered if I can find it now!

So seeing as I cant find any ring main cables in the loft what would be the next best approach?

I have lots of light cables in the loft and have a junction box on the lighting circuit which powers two loft boxes could I wire into this?

Help appreciated TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Not advisable, the pump is likely to be several hundred watts, and being a motor load, will have a high inrush current, likely the lighting fuse/breaker will go out EVERY time you use it, plus a lighting circuit is specifically for lighting only. (And possibly the now very rare electric wall clock)

Best bet would be to find the easiest way to get a cable up to the roof space from an existing socket, possibly using minitrunking in an obscure corner or maybe in the airing cupboard, if you have one.

Another alternative would be a 16 amp radial off the CU [using 2.5mm] if that would be easier.*

In both cases, feed into the FCU and use the appropriate fuse recommended by the manufacturer. Finding out where the upstairs lighting cable goes up to the roof space may provide you with an easy cable route for either of these cases.

HTH

*Note: AIUI, installing a new circuit invokes part P, installing a new spur off an existing ring shouldn't.
Reply to
Chipmunk

Thanks for the advice, I will spur from one of the upstairs sockets and chase that in the plaster, it's got to be all re-done anyway!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain