Wiring for outside lighting and pond

I've a small patio garden want to install some subtle outside lighting for use when we're eating outside on summer evenings and to run the 'water feature' we inherited with the house. All low powered stuff which will probably add up to a few hundred watts max.

A contractor we've used for some other work recommended using plastic conduit and 'normal' cable but this hasnt turned out to be that cheap and sealing it up looks difficult and time consuming.

TLC's customer services recommended using their Hi-Tuf cable which comes in at £1.40 per metre (1.5 cores - should be more than adequate). However, 2 core armoured is only 80p per metre (i'm assuming the armour acts as the earth) and the Pratley junction boxes (i'd use one of these to take a load out to each light) appear to be made with armoured cable in mind as well.

The question - which method should i use? I'm tending towards armoured cable.

If i use armoured are they're any difficulties in using it - ie cutting,stripping etc - any special tools needed?

Reply to
anthony james

Stanley knife, hacksaw and adjustable spanner is all you need (as well as the glands themselves). Dead easy once you have done it a couple of times.

I think I am right in that using the armour as earth is now frowned upon. Much better to use 3 core.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

"Dave Stanton" wrote | > However, 2 core armoured is only 80p per metre (i'm | > assuming the armour acts as the earth) | I think I am right in that using the armour as earth is | now frowned upon. | Much better to use 3 core.

If you use 4 core (2 lives, neutral, earth) you can switch the lights and the pump separately, without going all the way down the garden.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's the plan. I still havent decided whether to go for the ease of working of HiTuf or to take the more time consuming (and painful on the hands) route of using armoured

Reply to
anthony james

Depending on the cable run and load, you might consider running just the low voltage outside. I have done this and with decent cable, there is no problem. The safety aspect is greatly enhanced too.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)