Wiring an alarm

We have a small shop unit attached to the house, with separate mains electricity supply, and an alarm. The incoming mains is interesting. The incoming mains feeds through a sealed fuse unit, then the meter, then a junction box, where three feeds emerge. One goes to a standard fuse box with on/off switch, and supplies lights and sockets.

The second goes through a second fuse box with one on/off switch and supplies 'data' sockets only. They were for electronic tills etc.

The third goes through yet another fuse box with on/off switch, and supplies the alarm. This third box is metal (the others are plastic), and has a hasp and staple riveted to the case, secured by a padlock such that the switch cannot be flicked off without removing the padlock. I can see why, but it means there is no way to shut off the power to the alarm in the event of, say, fire. Is that usual? No, I have no idea who has a key to the padlock. Possibly issued to the then owner at the time of installation, or held by the alarm contract company?

Reply to
News

Don't fret. I'm pretty sure firemen have a "universal key", AKA, a bolt cropper. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, I'm sure you're right!

When we moved here, I was given a bag of miscellaneous keys, most of which I have never found a use for, or even a lock. Most look like keys for long gone filing cabinets etc. However, there could possibly be a key to that padlock. Will investigate further.

Reply to
News