Wires and cables

Litz wire has been mentioned, but has anyone mentioned tinsel wire?

And our neighbour across the Atlantic calls flexes "cords".

Standard (ie. British) Wire Guage seems to have been usurped by cross-sectional area in mm, or even AWG, Are the Chinese to blame for that?

Reply to
Graham.

Google "Gold plated TOSLink", if you dare.

Reply to
Graham.

If we give you enough cable will you hang yourself, or is that rope? grin.

Its yet another example of the wonderful language we speech. Somebody told me yesterday that Skirt and Shirt were derived from the same word but one was Annglo Saxon and the other Danish.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's stranded but not flexible, the strands are too thick for that. Hence it's cable not flex.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

constantan.

that's tinsel wire, a different thing to litzendraht wire

kanthal is a resistance wire. Wire wrap wire is simply wire wrap wire.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

... made of pasta, used in lasagne :)

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yeahbut, its stranded to make it more flexible :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep that's the one. But what we have have on a wooden reel the label says glass covered copper, it loks loke white cotten. 22swg.

we used Kynar wire for Wire-wrap.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have some extra-flexible wire, because it's more flexible than normal flexable wire :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

more, yes, but it still isn't suitable for applications where it gets regulrly flexed

very useful too

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was not aware that conduit cables (singles) have ever been anything than stranded.

FYI T&E has class 1 and class 2 conductors....

Class 1 is solid and class 2 is stranded. Class 1 is usually up to 2.5mm and class 2 is greater than 4mm. However you can buy T&E with stranded 2.5mm, either as the cpc (eg

6mmT&E) or as a a 2.5 T&E (cpc is solid)
Reply to
ARW

says it's flexible.

But it's not a flex!

Reply to
ARW

fibreglass for high temps

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Indeed, because while it is to some extent flexible, it's not flexible enough for use as a flex. It's just flexible enough to make getting it into its fixed position easier.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr