Wire question

That half-round "log roll" edging sold by garden centres and the DIY sheds is held together by lengths of thick wire, stiff but bendable, stapled to the back. What is this particular type of wire called? And where is a good source of it?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

It looks like galvanised mild steel wire.

I always bought wire from these people, but made to my requirements and probably in much larger quantities than you want:

These people specifically list galvanised round mild steel wire:

Nightjar

Thanks for that, and for the links. As to amount, I need about thirty feet all told.

Reply to
Bert Coules

dennis

galvanised soft iron wire

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Many thanks for the new replies and the Toolstation link.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That half-round "log roll" edging sold by garden centres and the DIY sheds

Fence straining wire.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

When I bought some it was plain old Galvanized mild steel

Reply to
rick

If you used plain copper .. it would also stop slugs.

Reply to
rick

I bought some of that, intending to use it to string up plants. It's a lot thicker than I expected (about 1.2mm at a guess) but should do nicely for the log roll thing. However it's already rusting at the ends where I twisted it, so I suppose the galvanised coating isn't that good.

(sigh, another example of Toolstation website fail)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Thanks again for the new replies and different opinions. I'll do some searching around.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Fencing wire. They sell it at builders merchants, farm suppliers and fence suppliers.

Reply to
harryagain

For short lengths, wire coathangers from a dry-cleaners work nicely. I did once go and buy a handful of them (IIRC, they were a few pence each). Note that some use galvanised wire, and some don't.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel