Windows backup software?

Yes, it might be, but it's not that hard to get rid of the first attribution as well.

Reply to
Clive George

Did you not? I think either your memory is going in your old age, or you are the one telling porkies...

From the thread "Best HD make for PC" March 2010:

After decrying disk as a backup destination with this load of guff:

"It tells me something about people when they recommend a disk as a backup. I wonder why the world doesn't use disks to backup important data?"

Which was quickly shot down by multiple posters pointing out many real world examples of organisations with serious data protection requirements, who do use disk as a primary backup target for their most important data, we later had this gem from dennis:

"Yes to tape, because the disks aren't reliable enough for backup, just what I said. "

Again quickly discredited.

I suspect he would just call you a f****it not enter into further discussion.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which was also pointed out that the disks are only used as a cache and that those disks have a backup of their own.

No it wasn't. Show me any proper data centre where all the backups go to disk and nowhere else. There is a need to store the data in units for archiving purposes and powered on disks do not do that at all well.

Just because you don't understand the problems and solutions doesn't make me wrong!

and I still never said tapes were the only backup medium, just not disks so up yours.

Reply to
dennis

Translated: I'm too lazy to exhibit common courtesy.

Well, whatever...

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, you misunderstood. They are used for primary Tier 1 backups. Stuff that may never make it to tape. (which is relegated to archive purposes in most organisations with high data turnover rates)

Plenty of them about....

Backup and archiving are separate activities. Everyone needs backup, not everyone needs to archive.

No, but there is an endless list of other things that do...

Not liking being confronted with your own claims I sense...

Reply to
John Rumm

Anyway, this seems to work rather well

stuart noble

Translated: I want someone else to count brackets for me because I'm too dumb to do it myself.

Reply to
Huge

Would not need to count them if you actually replied to the right post in the first place...

Reply to
John Rumm

I did.

I'm really surprised at you - I would have expect you to be able to count.

Reply to
Huge

Suit yourself. If you want to act like an aspergers victim, go ahead...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It would appear you are mistaken...

Tim posted a message quoting TNP's words ending "And exactly what I and other saner people DO NOT want.", adding the comment "I was assuming the software maintained incrementals?"

You replied to Tim's message, snipped his entire reply, but left the attribution in place, and then replied to something TNP had written.

Had you have posted a reply directly to TNP's message in the first place rather than indirectly via Tim's

I can see all the messages presented in a tree view, and hence it was obvious that your reply was posted to Tim's message.

Reply to
John Rumm

I suggest you address your comments to the authors of slrn.

Reply to
Huge

If you have version 12 beware. It caused no end of Blue Screens on my

64bit W7 . Google their forums for discussion. I migrated to macrium for this reason
Reply to
Rob