Window locks on possible fire escapes?

What is good practice regarding window locks on windows that might be fire escapes? I think I mean where to place keys; presumably not just where I (think I) know where they are, but where anyone would spot them. Or am I missing something?

Context: recent unsuccessful burglary -- I'm a light sleeper, so I heard the window (door style opening out) being forced. Was tempted to screw both lower openings tight shut; but then thought of fire escape and so left lock on second lower opening.

But now that I've thought of fire, where to leave a key. And to make matters worse, I now have two locks on the window, being unimpressed with the ease with which the timber on the fixed part split at the lock; in a panic, it would not be trivial to open two of those sprung locks at once.

This is downstairs, so maybe not the same hazard as upstairs, but, like insurance, you may never need it, but ...

It's easy enough to place the keys out of reach of burglars reach from the outside -- through broken glass. But is it desirable to have them hidden from burglars who are already in? I can think of a burglary where the latter was an advantage. OTOH, anything hidden from a burglar (inside) would also be hidden from a house guest; and maybe me after a few weeks of memory leakage.

Incidentally, it strikes me that (Yale brand in my case) window stay locks are liable to be more effective than the others which you might fit halfway up the window and independently of the 'stay'; and easier to fit properly. (I'm assuming that 'stay' means the thing by which one can 'open out' a window to varying degrees.) I should draw a diagram -- I have no knowledge of the proper terminology here.

TIA,

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng

I suppose you could ask your local Fire prevention Officer and/or equivalent in the Police . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

You can get "break glass" keyboxes for this very purpose - some have inbuilt audible alarms on PP3 batteries, others have a microswitch against the glass for activating an intruder alarm. Paint the inside with luminous paint so you can see it in the dark, or have emergency lighting.

You can also get stick-on window alarms (packs of 6 or 10 from JML in Poundstretchers etc, or QVC Home Security Hours etc) which will warble a bit if a door is forced open.

It is true that being able to open exit doors from inside can help burglars, but you would probably do better to concentrate your efforts on making sure that burglars don't get in at all.

A PIR light outside the window would be a good night-time deterrent, as would crunchy gravel.

If this is french door style windows, on the ground floor, and crime is a particular concern (eg the windows are easily accessible, but not overlooked), then I would be considering concertina metal grilles inside (with a spare key in one of the above-mentioned break glass boxes). Ecellent for allowing summer ventilation.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If its a means of escape window it should not have a lock at all. Governments philosophy is that its better to get burgled than burn to death.

Reply to
Russell Smith

Not always, some police force staff would rather ignore Home Office issued guidance that has that sort of philosophy and require a virtually total lock-down at all times, even when the property is occupied....

Reply to
Badger