wierd one for the plumbers

Many thanks Aidan, this seems to be the theory that's gaining popularity.
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:15:35 -0000, "Bob Watkinson"

Bob, this is understandable, but if it is the thermostat (2hrs after heater goes on is plausible for water to be causing noise), then it is potentially serious.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3035606.stm
--

.andy

OK thanks Andy. I'll work with the night time high pressure theory first then rig the timer to run during the day to see if it happens, then I can get up there at a reasonable time

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:39:37 +0000, homer wrote:

Do you still get the moaning if the immersion is left off (I know that's a really inconvenient test!). I'm reckoning that the immersion has nothing to do with this but possibly an increase in water pressure at night.
Another possibility is that there is a slight problem with the float valve on the storage cistern. When the HW expands it raises the level in the cistern a bit, possibly interfering with the operation of the float valve (which should have been off and be staying off). Suggested causes of action: 1) Check for air in dead branches of the mains cold water plumbing. 2) Renew washer/diaphragm in the cistern float valve. 3) As (2) but also for any mains WCs.

Don't know Ed. I've a few things to try tonight before trying that. Cheers.

Problem Solved.
A short while ago the whining noise started up again (obviously economy 7 water heating off). Not being in the early hours of the morning we were able to investigate more fully. We pulled the washing machine out to try holding the pipes and found the blue appliance hose leaking at the washing machine end in a fine jet. We stopped the leak and cured the problem. So it looks like the fact that it was highly audible in the bathroom and the economy 7 were red herrings. Many thanks for all your help folks. I can look forward to a good nights kip. Strange how the leak seems to have been intermittent though. Must be something to do with increased supply pressure.
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 21:09:20 -0000,it is alleged that "Bob Watkinson"

Always good to hear that:
A) the problem's solved, and
B) what the cause was :-)
--
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something
about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is

Well if it happens again I will be contacting Ghostbusters. i hear their booked solid 'till after Christmas though ;-)
Cheers Chip