Wickes

Went to my local one today. Screens round the cashiers looked like they'd been put up by a newbie DIYer with only a hammer in his toolbox.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just cos they sell the stuff doesn't mean they know how to use it. Looks bad, though, I admit, if a purveyor of DIY stuff has a shoddy facade.

Ant.

Reply to
anonymousrapscallion

I gave up on Wickes when they went ?trade counter? rather than like a normal browse and buy place.

They used to be good but sometimes you need to look at things to be sure they are what you need - especially if you are still planning how to do something.

Reply to
Brian Reay

They went "trade counter" in one branch near hewer. But it was only for small things that kept vanishing. The bigger stuff was still "look for yourself". The newer branch is still totally 'open'.

Reply to
charles

Didn't they just open branches of Toolsatan in the main store?

Reply to
alan_m

In Guildford ToolSatan is close by, but not in the same building. All on the T&P site.

Reply to
charles

They've moved on from that a while ago. All the branches I have seen are completely open.

Reply to
Fredxx

The one I go to is completely open.

FSVO - last time I was there they partitioned off an aisle so their beepbeep fork lift beepbeep truck could do some beepbeep unloading from the beepbeep overhead racking.

Unfortunately that was the aisle a different set of staff were insisting was the sole one-way system from the body of the store to the checkouts.

They need to get their beepbeep act together, and only do that kind of beepbeep self-stocking when the store is closed (or revise their one-way system).

Reply to
Roland Perry

These shops have also been instructed by elf and safety to mark transparent screens with bright coloured labels to stop people bashing into them and to mark edges to, few have done this and people still bang their heads and customers cannot hear the assistant either if they have a hearing loss. I think some kind of remake of The Plank might be rather funny having skits around direction footmarks and Perspex screens. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Went to my local one yesterday, quite a few trades people in judging by the number of vans in the car park. The timber section was decimated particula rly the softwoods and in particular studding sizes. Did not really linger t o see other sections but did note there was rationing on plaster. Anyway go t what I needed so all's well.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

In message , at

04:15:21 >> Went to my local one today. Screens round the cashiers looked like they'd
90% stock remaining isn't too bad ;)

How many bags? I needed ten to have my kitchen/extension plastered last month. Which is conveniently about as many as the car can handle.

Last week I needed an additional bit of countertop, and they had plenty in stock.

Reply to
Roland Perry

that had plaster to ration!

tim

Reply to
tim...

two (or was it three) weeks ago

finding a shop that even had as many as 10 bags in stock was next to impossible

most had zero

HTH

tim

Reply to
tim...

In message , at 10:09:45 on Sun, 12 Jul

2020, tim... remarked:

That was then, this is now. The problem was yet another of these just-in-time supply chains, which collapsed when the factories went into lockdown. Some supply dribbling through to retail was predicted for 3rd week of June. (The first production went to their biggest customers - house builders).

Reply to
Roland Perry