WI FI Radio

Yes, pet, whatever you say.

Perhaps you might actually read the post from the OP you replied to. No mention of 'RAI or Ngoma or Africa No 1' - but of R4. Which my phone gets very well. In decent quality with decent battery life too.

Are you trying to take over from dribble in answering a question that hasn't been asked?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

internet (we have a domestic wifi network.

And a decent FM radio will run for about ten times longer.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Many and varied.

SWMBO listens to R4 a lot; I bought her a Roberts Solar DAB/FM radio:

has cheaply-replaceable AA rechargeables but will run on alkalines (throw a switch in the battery compartment); stood on an east-facing window ledge it never needs mains recharging from March to October.

I think the speaker is 67mm, and I suggest you don't get a radio with a smaller one.

I have a Pure Evoke Flow FM/DAB/WiFi:

sound and plenty of it, but not cheap and the battery and remote (a very useful extra) add to the cost.

Reply to
Terry Fields

My first battery portable (very early transistor) was AM only. Battery in that lasted forever. Next came an FM one - not nearly as good battery life. DAB even shorter. Is an 'internet' one worse still?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AYOTB?

I gave the reasons why *I* like Tune In Pro radio. I did not say it was a reccomended or the only way to listen to R4.

Still good to hear you have some manky old phone that can receive only one station. Very useful. Obviously if it receives more stations than R4 then it is useless, according to your bizarre standards.

Oh BTW he also said the requirement was to pick up R4 *via the internet*. Can your tatty old phone do that? Or are you trying to take over from Drivel by answering an unasked question?

And let's face it, even had the question been for advice on how to pick up R4 on FM, your answer - use a Nokia phone would be fuckwitted enough to be a Drivel answer.

Coming next Dave advises how to knock in nails using his forehead, because hammers are some pointless modern invention.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Horses for courses, this a fringe area and the main FM set needs it's loft aerial. The old portables need the rod aerials extended and they always seem to be in the way and there is still hiss at times and listening to medium wave hasn't been the same since coming from a boat was a valid excuse for a wooly sound. Although it doesn't apply to the national stations so much if I'm listening to a our BBC local and Bloody Football takes over I can catch the regular programme over the net from the originating region. That will happen less in the New Year with BBC cutbacks but will still be valid occasionally.and if I don't like the replacement English regional the that BBC will be offering it will be no problem to scour the world for something else. And how can you do listen again on FM? Like the HD recorder has made time shifting TV programmes almost the norm for many, an Internet set can do the same for radio. Battery time of 8 hours on a charge is more than adequate, I've no need to spend 80 hours in the bath or down the garden before plugging it in again and I doubt many others need to , If the set used U2's at the rate of four a day it might be something to worry about. I'm not sure it would last ten times longer anyway , have used the set on FM a few times as it was a convenient thing to do ,can't say I noticed it lasted that much more. Internet radio is more efficient than DAB. G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The pure one flow I bought in asdas clearence sale needs a ~7000mA li-ion battery pack and it doesn't last long when using wifi.

Reply to
dennis

My iPhone does it quite cheerfully using a free app. My wife uses hers quite a bit to listen to Classic FM when in her polytunnel & greenhouses. It cuts out briefly as she moves around the site and the phone changes from one wireless hub to another (in the vegetable garden she connects to the barn hub, and elsewhere to the farm office or house hubs but the iphone does that automatically)

  • Out of interest, does the mobile data connection kick in when out of wireless range? If so, one to watch, as with my contract at least I'd be reaching my limit very quickly (think you'd be loked at about 50MB/Hr). Caught out by this recently.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

The one thing this doesn't do is battery power:

if battery is "negotiable", then I strongly recommend the Airstream - particularly if you like iconic/novel product design.

Combined FM/DAB/Internet or FM/Internet models.

What makes it though is its superb build quality and thoroughly well sorted out interface/controls.

Internet via wifi or rj45, but radio is extendible aerial only, no ext antenna jack (for me that is the only shortcoming).

dom

have an ugly mains lead trailing over their minimalist worktop.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Most mobile phones have a download limit... As some one has pointed out if using a mobile make sure it doesn't drop across to 3G if it loses the WiFi...

A 128kbps stream is roughly 60MBhr and will chomp through 1GB in around

16 hours. (If I've got the maths right...).
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You seen the unsubsidised price of smartphones? B-)

But if you already have a WiFi smartphone (or an old one in a drawer) and some means of connecting to decent speakers it might not be a bad option.

Tried the TuneIn (free, ad supported version) app mentioned earlier on an Android tablet. Very slick and easy to use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And when the car keys go and hide behind that stepped forward bit.

And it doesn't look like you can see the display unless you are standing over it. So you hear something you like but don't know artist/track you can't simply glance at the set and see what it is.

Form over function again...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

(we have a domestic wifi network.

As others have said the TunedIn radio app, free or paid for Pro version which allows you to record.

Assuming that you have a smartphone. Just connect it to some audio equipment with a suitable cable if you want decent sound output.

Don't have smart phone? Then pick up a cheap android phone from Ebay. No need to use a sim since you are only using it as a wifi device.

Maybe buy a nexus 7 tablet. Then it can be a radio, tv and so much more.

Reply to
Rob

Yes, they tend to sell like hotcakes

Andy Burns

Doesn't have to be a smartphone. Works just as well on an iPod touch and the first generation ones can probably be picked up cheaply secondhand. And she can store her music on it as well. Or, record from the radio using Tunein Pro.

Reply to
Andrew May

And I gave my recommendation for listening to R4 or any other FM station while on the move. With decent quality and battery life.

Were you born a wanker or did you have to learn how to be one in that public library?

And poor audio and poor battery consumption is your answer?

As was yours about using a phone etc where the OP obviously wanted some form of portable radio.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote: [snip]

Shame a slack handful of people disagree with you, eh? Err and you do note the massive hypocrisy of your response, given that you are pushing a phone that doesn't even work via the Internet?

I have a different opinion about teachers to you, get over it. My brother is a mechanic BTW, does that mean all mechanics are above criticism? Alternatively are you just raising teachers to infallible sainthood or do add in those other saints the nurses "God bless 'em!"

Although I'd like to see the latter showing some professionalism and actually doing the job instead of yakking all night and texting their mates.

Reply to
Steve Firth

[Sigh] I simply offered a solution to the poor sound quality and battery life you seem to have with your iPhone. But, of course no comment on that perfect device is allowed by you.

I'd suggest you actually read what you wrote about teachers...

Most live in a world where things ain't all black or white. What world do you come from?

Something else you've made a study of one, then, and proclaim on?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ernet (we have a domestic wifi network.

Thanks to all for the input.=20

FM and LW reception is too poor in this case hence the suggested WiFi radio= .

She had an old battery powered Sony FM/MW/LW for yonks but it is rapidly ex= piring and the newer version I have is hopeless at LW reception.

Wasn't aware of the power consumption problems with WiFi radio making batte= ry operation problematical.

TuneIn on her iPhone sounds like a good idea though she doesn't like buds o= r cans and likes to carry the radio from room to room Perhaps a small speak= er might fit the bill. She has streaming radio in the kitchen and I suggest= ed extending this to the other rooms but no, wouldn't do at all. Must be a = portable

Ah well.

Reply to
fred