Why sharp sand for rendering?

Fly ash from a power station is an excellant Pozzolan. Certain stations produce better grade than others and if the situation of ten years ago hasn't changed Eggborough in yorkshire, Fiddlers Ferry near Warrington, Ironbridge, and Rugely are (were) more consistent than others

Reply to
John

It is hard. You are right it is not going anywhere in a hurry

You would if a lump landed on your head :)

Maybe that is something to do with what materials were available at the time.

400 years Queen Elizabeth I was about to die and I don't think the road transport system was any great shakes so whoever built your gable end used lime dug out of the ground half a mile away and local sand which might not have the right amount of clay in it and the particles might be poorly graded

Contrariwise, whoever built the Roman buildings had an efficient supply system (Roman roads and slaves) to bring materials from further away

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle