Why has my block paving gone green?

We had our drive block paved last summer and are happy with the result, no sagging or other problems as far as I can see. But over the last few weeks of damp weather the drive has taken on a distinctly green hue, less so where the cars are normally parked. What is this? Is it moss or mildew or something similar growing in the surface of the blocks due to being damp all the time? What can I do to clean it off and stop it coming back?

Any ideas welcome. TIA Andy

Reply to
Andy

Algae. Pressure washer or common chemicals will remove, but nothing will stop it coming back.

Why not call it patina, and have a beer instead?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Jeyes fluid (instructions on can) should kill it off (but yes, it will return)

Reply to
Newshound

Is that still a permitted use?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Careful you don't wash out all the sand.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the chemical route when the weather here is better.

Cheers Andy

Reply to
Andy

Take a look at

IS a solution for removal and prevention. Batiface will remove the moss, algae, mould from your drive, leaving it 'as new' (leaves tarmac black again) There is also a product for leaving a fungicide on the surface and a water repellant sealant.

Our drive has been clear over the Winter since application. Hope this helps

Sam

Reply to
originaltouch

Just caught your post. There IS a solution to remove and help prevent it coming back. Take a look at

1 - Apply Batiface for removal of all moss, algae and mildew, renovating the surface to 'as new' (leaves tarmac black)

Step 2 - either apply Batimoss (a fungicide) or Hydromoss (a water repellant sealant)

It works really well and we have had no greening on our drive for the last 5 months over the very wet winter (But do apply in dry weather!)

Hope this helps

Sam

Reply to
originaltouch

Thanks Sam. Looks promising.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

What does?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That does.

Reply to
Andy

We have a problem of green paving - in locations where the sun doesn't normally get to very much. I well sun exposed areas it isn;t very much of a problem in the summer. But once a year we jetwash everything and that sorts it out just fine!

The jetwasher does a marvellous job, but what with water meters becoming compulsary I may think twice before getting the old beastie out in the future!

Reply to
<don't know code>