why are some dimmers Not suitable for use with low voltage lighting.

Hi

please may I ask why are dimmers Not suitable for use with low voltage lighting.

many thanks in advance

Reg

Reply to
res

Two reasons really..

Some step down transformers do no respond to dimmers on their front ends, and some do, but in ways which cause extremely high peak currents in the dimmer. Which pops.

I would be wary of using anything BUT a transformer AND dimmer BOTH of which are recommended for use with each other..

I have mainly toroidal transformers in my LV lights, but the dimmable ones are all fed from standard dimmers and are electronic types.

Its possible the toroids are dimmable, but I have not dared to try it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Those that aren't can't cope with the inductive load a conventional wound transformer applies. But those same dimmers can usually be used with an 'electronic' transformer which is also designed to be dimmed - just to make the permutations greater.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need to understand the electronics behind it and how they work really.

Toroids arent dimmable using triac type dimmers afaik. The dimmer would see so much inductive crap it wouldnt survive, as a result of the switching waveform plus the leakage inductance.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They can be MADE to be suitable..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi Thanks for all your response.. I got the jist of it...

THANKS....

Reply to
res