Why 5.5mm Sds drill bit?

IME, they go straight through rebar without hesitation. That's not necessarly a good thing - many pre-stressed concrete lintels only have one rebar in them in the first place.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

oh, I agree they go through, but they aren't much good on brickwork afterwards.

Reply to
charles

For the slightly smaller 5.5mm frame fixers that sparks commonly use to bosh in wiring boxes with.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Utter cobblers. The spiral 'side' of the bit only clears the waste, the tip makes the hole.

I've never had an SDS bit go blunt, despite drill thousands of holes a year.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yep .. most of my plugs take 5.5 ... though I will often drill out at

5.0 to allow for usual loose hole that results.
Reply to
rick

Dave, I wish that my larger SDS bits were as long lasting as yours seem to be. I have a box of 20 mm to 35 mm sds drill bits that have been used many times on re-inforced concrete and are decidedly smooth where they should be sharp :) Sharpening is easy enough on a diamond or green grit wheel but it's one of many 'round-tuit' jobs !

I agree with your comment about the spiral having no part in the cutting - I have some that are amazingly wasted down !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'd agree - although they don't get anything like your sort of use here. Ordinary masonry bits in a hammer drill were a different matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IKWYM but I'd say they do go blunt. But they still work well enough when blunt, in a way that simple twist bits and masonry bits don't.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It's very easy to check for wear on the tip. And it takes a lot of use before it shows - although obviously depending on what you're drilling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must have one of the fabled everlasting drill bits, then. I keep getting the ones that eventually wear - and I've also drilled thousands of holes with them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I suppose it depends to a great extent on what you are drilling into. When I moved to my current address in 1978 my trusty hammer drill would take 10 minutes or more to drill a hole for a wall plug in the stone walls even assuming the masonry drill stood up to the punishment. SDS of course is a different ball game but the drill bits tend not to last. I don't actually count the number of holes I drill but I suspect that my drills last for 100s of holes rather than 1000s. And if you can drill a small diameter hole in a few seconds you do tend to drill far more holes than you would if almost every hole was an epic as used to be the case.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

and before masonry drills we had to use a Rawltool!

Reply to
charles

+1. If its then not tight enough, stick a match in the plug.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

and before that, we used a piece of pipe with the end notched and a club hammer! Great fun on 6' thick walls.

Reply to
Capitol

Do you carry a box of matches? I light my joints with a blowtorch

Reply to
stuart noble

I lost a 14mm SDS bit the other day. It went in and jammed solid and as it was at the top of a section of ladder I wasn't in a position to get decent access or leverage on it. Fortunately the hole wasn't a vital one-off position, so a new hole got drilled below it and the first new proper application of my new AG took place on the stuck bit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Axminster recommend 5.5mm bits for their red wall plugs

Reply to
fred