Which propane torch for burning off paint?

I have just started looking online for a propane torch and cannot decide what it is that I need. There are too many options for me to absorb quickly and I want to buy this tomorrow so that I can get on with the job of burning off about 20 square metres of old masonry paint. There's propane, butane, mapp, is a roofers torch too much? and what about bottle sizes and different types of thread. It would be so much easier if someone just told me what to get. In the meantime I will carry on browsing.

Thanks

Brendan.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

I don't think you will find a propane torch much good on masonry paint. Or indeed any sort of torch.

What is the substrate? Render, brick, blockwork, stone?

Reply to
newshound

And why are you trying to remove it? A lot depends on the condition. I managed to remove quite a lot of masonry paint from a rubble filled random stone wall using an air-powered needle gun, but this was mostly Snowcem on top of 200 years of lime wash.

If it is well adhered, then grit blasting is probably the only way to get back to original stonework, and it's still not going to look pristine.

If the adhesion is gone, you may be able to remove quite a lot from flat surfaces (render or ashlar) with a stripping knife.

On random stone, brick, or blockwork I'd be looking at a wire brush in an angle grinder.

Reply to
newshound

With that area to cover, I think you ought to be looking for something larger than a hand-held gas bottle, screwfix sell a roofers torch for £60 but how often will you use it again?

Hire a roofers torch about £20 for the weekend? And put the other £40 towards calor ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Let us know how you get on.

Reply to
newshound

I normally use a standard torch on a hose connected to a 4.7kg propane tank with a regulator:

More comfortable to hold than the plumbing type with gas canister hanging off it, and cheaper to run if you need to do lots of it.

Not sure you will find it much use on masonry paint though... wire brush on an angle grinder may be better for shifting the lose stuff. Paint over the rest.

Reply to
John Rumm

most masonry paint is not oil based and will not burn off, buy the cheapest small torch first to test it.

_
Reply to
Mark

The problem is also that wood has lower thermal conductivity and specific heat than stone. You have to keep the torch in one place much longer to raise even an oil based paint to softening point.

Reply to
newshound

It is oil based and comes off with my hot air gun - just not quick enough. Thanks for the recommendation John, I'll go for that.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Yes. Sorry I said masonry paint. I should have said paint on masonry, it's actually render.

Thanks all.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Hi John,

If you are still there?

There doesn't seem to be anywhere close to Ealing that sells 4.5kg calor gas bottles.

Would that torch work with these cans?

or

Or I should say, will those cans work with this regulator?

Rednadnerb

I had good results with a pressure washer here. That was for removal of loose stuff on a mix of sandstone and rough cast render, followed by painting over.

I have some emulsion to remove from some rough stone that'll probably get the needle gun treatment. It's inside and I want to get back to clean stone. Only a large square meter ish so spending much money on it isn't viable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've just seen that B&Q do propane for patio gas heaters. 5kg for £28. I'll pop along there.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

on 04/08/2017, Rednadnerb supposed :

None of those, will work with any other you list.

The red regulator is intended for a propane bottle on its left, plus something like a roofing torch fitted on the right of the regulator.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Rednadnerb explained on 04/08/2017 :

I think you will find that propane bottle, may not fit the above adjustable regulator.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Oh gawd. Just as I feared.

Thanks Harry. I will travel through the Saturday morning traffic to get a proper bottle.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

But they are all shut on a Saturday.

I give up.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Beware the "clip" style of regulator on patio/bbq bottles is different ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup...

There must be... camping supplies, garden centre, agricultural place etc?

(even some of the sheds do them)

Not easily.

Again not easily - the regulator will be designed to screw onto the typically fitting on the refillable propane tanks - its substantially bigger than the threaded output of the small cans.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup anything sold as "patio gas" seems designed to be incompatible! (although having said that the TS torch does not incluude the hose etc, so you can whatever you want to suit the bottles you get.

Ideally you need a bottle like:

a regulator and as many meters of hose as required to work comfortably. A hose with the "normal" left hand thread female screw connectors.

Reply to
John Rumm