which option is the best for a lawn that has now become a dandelion bed

I have a lawn that was laid 10 years ago with Rolawn Medallion turf at a rental house. The tenant has been there all that time.
In that time, it has now become a dandelion bed, i.e there is now very little grass visible and is now basically full of dandelions.
I see I have several options:
Dig it all up and lay new turf.... how long do the dandelion tap roots go down and how do I ensure I get the entire tap roots out?
Apply a total weedkiller, wait several months and then reseed with grass seed
Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions
Pay GreenThumb or similar X quid a month and get them to visit several times a year and sort it out for me.
What do the panel think?
S.
On 06/12/2019 22:12, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

Above is what I would do.
On 06/12/2019 22:19, ss wrote:

The problem is those weedkillers on sale to the general public are often jus as effective as a chocolate tea pot.
The potential with dandelions is that the problem doesn't originate in your garden. You may clear the problem in your lawn and re-seed but next season thousands of new seeds will float in from your neighbours.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

My local council once explained they were no longer permitted to use certain weedkillers on the streets but I was able to buy them.
I suspect public restrictions have caught up to make us just as restricted.

snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk says...

... who got them from you in the first place ...
--

Terry

On 06/12/2019 23:35, alan_m wrote:

that is why a reguylar selective weed and feed is the answer.
The ground is 'poisoned' against dandelions and they wont germinate
--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".
snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

Just mow it regularly.
--
Chris Green
·

On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 9:33:06 AM UTC+11, Chris Green wrote:

s seed

rass

yes, if you have a second strip of grass around home mow there, after the f irst, that way you will have dandeleons uniformly all over your lawn areas !!!
On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 10:06:36 AM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

ass seed

grass

first, that way you will have dandeleons uniformly all over your lawn area s !!!
Joke apart, my personal experience is these damndeleons spread easily when you use the mower. Best, as I found,, is to remove them complete root stock and barrel using garden tool. And it needs patience careful not to seveer the root and do it more than 1 season b4 one can see them disappear.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ay? Are you saying that mowing will spread the seeds? *Regular* mowing would include before the seeds have formed, not to mention when the (few hopefully) newly sown dandelions are just starting to grow and will be fairly fragile.
--
Chris Green
·

On 07/12/2019 10:47, Chris Green wrote:

One years seed = 7 years weed. The tenants probably hasn't bothered to cut the grass regularly so the entire lawn is infested with dandelion seeds waiting to germinate.
Paraquat the whole lot next may and re-turf.

Umm.. banned in the uk I think. Also only kills the green bits leaving the roots to recover.
Roundup next May might be better but you will be laying turf on dead plant/roots rather than clean soil.
--
Tim Lamb

[snip]

Looking at the name, here is a contributor who should be taken seriously :-)
On 06/12/2019 22:12, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

I am going through a similar exercise here.
Weed and feed is working on MOST weeds and the moss.
I've only had to glyphosate the yarrow.
You need to do it when the grass grows - next pring - and then water it immediately.
You wouldnt need to wait months to reseed after a glyphosate attack. It doesnt touch seeds
--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

I looked at the price of selective weed killers and realised that paying a lawn care company to do it made more sense. No regrets.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

No idea about price of green thumb but our firm treats our lawn four time a year at about £30 a time. Lawn looks very good.
Tm
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 14:12:07 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

Option 3 - selective weedkiller, Verdone (now called Weedol lawn killer) or similar. But not at this time of year. Wait until the Spring when things start growing again. You may need two applications, a few weeks apart. When the dandelions have died, scarify the larger bald patches with a rake and over-seed with a good lawn seed mix. Be vigilant and remove dandelion seedlings that will inevitably appear over time. http://tinyurl.com/vohcq44 and http://tinyurl.com/yxzrxhqp
--

Chris

Every time I try selective weedkiller on a lawn, the grass is badly affected and doesn't really recover. I would use a good brand and not apply too much. I've given up with them.

Verdone is what I tried initially but it’s expensive and the stuff available to the public seems pretty ineffective (or I wasn’t using it correctly). Whatever, paying someone else to do all the treatment 4 times a year works for me and gives far better results than I ever achieved.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls