Which Home alarm system?

That should read Scantronic 9651.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

Yes, thanks.

I notice the keypad lacks "Yes / No" keys like the Gardtec.

Q: How is end user setting (trying to find a user manual online)?

Vis., it will not just be me that will be using it. Thanks.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:30:28 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury" mused:

It has a tick and a cross, and ABCD buttons though.

Reply to
Lurch

Indeed :-) Looks reasonable, display could be bigger but sadly they are not exactly doing 15" touchscreen TFTs at that price point as yet :-)

Now downloaded :-)

The CPC offering is 9561UK (ungraded), the 9651EN is the grade 2 panel; EN meeting new EN 50131 and PD6662 requirements (Grade 2).

Actually the usability of the CP8L is easier with Full/Part set buttons (like Veritas 8) and has Yes/No answer buttons which makes things easier. Both are good systems, however that swings it back to the CP8L.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

In article , Dorothy Bradbury writes

Sorry bout that, I had a moment . . . .

Reply to
fred

In article , Dorothy Bradbury writes

TBH I can't remember what came but I know there was a lot of EN compliance stuff on many of the parts. CPC are bad for not updating mfr part details like that on a developing product and I wouldn't be surprised if it is ENs that get shipped when UKs have filtered thro the stock.

The place where I put the Scantronic is used by many, all marketing types but they don't seem to have any problems, the A, B, C, D buttons mean you can have multiple part sets or you can just drill in that A is full set, B is part (there is a door to the left intended for labelling on the inside flap). I think the large tick and cross (embossed onto the illuminated buttons) is a pretty intuitive as Yes and No but that's personal. I think it's one where a laminated crib sheet is more useful than the user manual.

Other strong points are: Ability to label zones in alpha (so that it shows 'back door' rather than zone05).

16 user codes (handy if you want to track who is accessing) 256 entry time stamped log (CP8L drops to 64 if time stamped) but not downloadable. 3 configurable outputs vs 2 fixed, 1 configurable on CP8L. Again, plenty of room for extras in the case, extra fusing, relays if reqd and yes it takes a 7Ah batt.

But there are weaknesses: Counter intuitive user reset after alarm/power fail etc: Enter code a second time and hit Tick for Yes to reset (I was used to No to reset). In common with seemingly all cheaper panels low power feed from panel (1A), fine for accessories but I like a lot of sounders and the limit was busted. I know I could use SCB set sounders instead of SAB but I put in a separate fused feeds direct from the battery to spread the load.

HTH

Reply to
fred

Very much so, indeed that goes for several consumer devices (the absolute worst being DVD recorders which as a rule have simply ghastly interfaces :-)

An improvement that should have been done even to the LED ones. A simple slide-in letterplate backlit by the LED if necessary.

I do wonder if they actually bother to flowchart them. Then again I've wondered that about the programming industry for years :-)

As a rule treat it as 0.8A, because at 1A the regulation can go to pot. Easy enough to add a second PSU - but it adds another box, space etc.

Also the higher the current draw, the higher shorter the battery life on standby; and battery life also diminishing with time which can lead to odd behaviour.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury