Which? Boiler test results

Interesting proposition cheap tat=not high quality are we to presume the converse that is expensive tat=high quality?

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

No. That's expensive (not tat) = high quality.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well Vaillant use the same heat X. These companies use this heat X in their up market models. And in the case of the Heatline, who use industry standard parts, it is cheap for what it is. Many of the parts use in these boilers are used in more expensive makes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Giannoni are a well respected company. Their heat Xs are in Vaillants, Broags, Glow Worms and many others. They are quality product with a good reputation. If the system is installed properly, and with a Magnaclean, then there is little chance of sludge build up in the heat OX.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Look at the ACV Heatmaster and Atmos Multi. These are basically a boiler with a very larger water capacity heat exchanger. Most would view it as a thermal store. Many oil boilers have large water capacity heat exchangers and use the integrated thermal store to improve combi performance.

Take the size of a normal boiler. Have a large capacity heat exchanger that is squareish taking up all space inside the casing, maximizing the space available, then this heat X/thermal store would improve combi performance no end. Also used as a system boiler, cycling would be virtually eliminated.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If the system is installed and maintained properly, there is no need for a Magnaclean because there is no sludge.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The article was on about poorly maintained system and that this could lead to these heat exchangers being blocked as a result. A Magnaclean will prevent the problem occurring.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Cleaning and then maintaining the system properly will prevent the sludging, not only protecting the heat exchanger but also extending the life of the radiators.

Using a Magnaclean is like putting Elastoplast on a broken leg.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Surely it's more like fitting a plaster cast to the leg, but without fixing the loose carpet on the stairs?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, you're right. That is a better way to describe it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Total tripe!!! It prevents sludge build up. And is a guarantee against poor to no maintenance. Say this should be done and that should be done indices total naivety of the real world.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Indices is the plural of index, but we'll leave that aside. The other word is naiveté. Perhaps you were confusing it with nativity which is something else.

If what you say is true, please explain to me how every system that I have ever had has remained sludge free with the simple expedients of making sure that there is no suck down or pump over where there has been an open system together with making sure that the system is dosed with a good quality corrosion inhibitor annually.

Nobody is disputing that a Magnaclean will do what it says and capture passing suspensions of sludge. The issue is one of prevention being better than cure.

If a system is so poorly maintained that a Magnaclean is used, then what happens when that, too, becomes full of sludge?

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's pretty clearly a typo for "indicates".

The New Shorter Oxford Dicti *naivety* The state or quality of being naive.

I don't think he's the one that's confused.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That's a stretch.

As has already been mentioned, this suggestion is equivalent to plastering the broken leg rather than fixing the stair carpet.

Even on a simple basis of economics, the suggestion makes no sense at all.

Option A)

Good quality corrosion inhibitor = £20 annually (max).

Option B)

Magnaclean = £100. plus New radiators = £1000+ (because the Magnaclean does not prevent corrosion).

Which do you imagine is the more cost effective over a 5 year period?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Then you think wrong.

Dr Drivel is a well-known idiot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know. As soon as I saw "Total tripe!!!" I knew it was him, and that the rest would be nonsense. But that doesn't stop Andy's reply being nonsense as well. The rest of what Andy said might have been worth reading, but his comments on DD's *writing* were really dumb. It's bad enough criticising someone's spelling or grammar on Usenet, but Andy went a step further and got it completely wrong. It can happen to anybody.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Matt, you are confused.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Except that it wasn't.

That's a separate issue.

Incorrect.

1) A typo is generally one letter adrift.

2) The original and preferred spelling of naiveté is the French one. Actually, strictly speaking it should have an umlaut over the 'I' as well. Naivety is a bastardisation of it. Note also, that Google lists 300k+ references to the original spelling and around 90k for the other one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pot --> kettle --> black ?

Reply to
Andy Hall

8-).

Magnaclean is sort of like first-aid when things are really bad and a new heating system is really called for. But it's the middle of winter and you are not able to fix things properly just yet. As far as I'm concerned it's not part of a properly installed new or renovated system.

Reply to
Ed Sirett