Which Boiler Advice

Seems pretty good so far.

Reply to
Grunff

You like paying high water and gas bills?

Reply to
IMM

Modern dishwashers and dryers are much more economical.

Reply to
IMM

We don't pay water bills because we have a well. We don't pay gas bills because we have oil. Water heating only a small fraction of the total oil usage, and that total is pretty low anyway.

What is shocking is the electricity we waste on UFH, tumbledrying and dishwashing. Much more than the oil costs. By hey, it's nice to have these things.

Reply to
Grunff

Than what? Both our dishwasher and tumbledrier are pretty modern. Yet there is no getting away from the fact that the tumbledrier averages 2kW for the duration of the cycle (so uses maybe 3-4kWh/load), and the dishwasher uses about a kWh/load.

Reply to
Grunff

If you are going to hurry over a bath, you might as well just have a shower.

You want your combi to honk at you when your bath is ready?

How about a single push button to fill a bath and switch off when full? :-)

Markus Splenius

This is true.

Well, I haven't got a combi, and am quite happy not having one, so no.

Ah, now we are back OT - I see a mains relay, bare wires dangling in the bath. Just right for the dull days of February.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The message from "IMM" contains these words:

Modern standards means making baths big enough for fat bastards like dIMM. Thus those with less bulk have to use more water, not less, to have a bath in a bath that is made to modern standards.

Reply to
Roger

< snip drivel >
Reply to
IMM

That must be why you recommend and fit them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What is the point in having a small bath? Having a bath is a luxury. If all you want is a wash, have a shower.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

< snip drivel >.
Reply to
IMM

"Grunff" wrote | What is shocking is the electricity we waste on UFH, tumbledrying | and dishwashing. Much more than the oil costs. By hey, it's nice | to have these things.

In the longer term, electric UFH could be replacable by wet UFH or other heating run off the oil boiler, and tumble drying might be replaced by an oil warmed drying cupboard. Dishwasher is replacable by a washing-up bowl and Marigolds.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

True, but we chose to install electric UFH for a number of reasons.

I like my tumble drier!

Now I /know/ you're joking.

Reply to
Grunff

Well, that's one of the reasons. Other reasons include:

- Not wanting to dig up the existing concrete floor, or raise the final level.

- Only wanting it for taking the edge off the cold tiles, not heating the room. ~800W spread out over ~16sqm.

Reply to
Grunff

But you missed the important bit...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

< snip drivel >
Reply to
IMM

Yours might be, but none that I have seen that are worth having.

So it must be right.

I never believe what I read on posters.

Depends on what you define as "bad"

What defines average?

This is a circular argument.

Either you can start at the heat input, in which case whether the boiler is condensing or not has an impact, or you can start at the output, in whiich case the energy input required is less for a condensing boiler.

From the perspective of looking at flow rate, the key factor is the heat delivered to the water. That is the output side.

Obviously one should start with the HW performance required (using proper figures and not marketing bullshit) and determine the heat requirement. Having a condensing boiler or not is a separate issue and basically comes down to whether or not one wants to reduce energy input for a given output considering the capital cost.

Reply to
Andy Hall

This suggestion is onanistic.

I don't think that you have any clue about the size of an average bath.

Basically, you have read the marketing bullshit from a few boiler manufacturers trying to suggest that their products will address the world's ills and swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

The reality is that baths require in excess of 150 litres to provide a satisfactory user experience.

If you thing that 80-100 litres is satisfactory, it means that either you espouse the culture of the gulag or that Archimedes was your tutor.

Reply to
Andy Hall